• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Life time of an overclocked Qx6700? Noob at OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Isaac MM

Registered
Well whats the life time of a Qx6700 always overclocked? Im getting one but i dont know if ill overclock it or not because of the life time, anyone knows how long it will last?

All you have to do is search, there are tons and tons of the same kind of question. As long as you keep it cool (good luck) and don't do death runs constantly, most of the time it will be obsolete or you'll get bored with it before it dies.

Tyranos said:
All you have to do is search, there are tons and tons of the same kind of question. As long as you keep it cool (good luck) and don't do death runs constantly, most of the time it will be obsolete or you'll get bored with it before it dies.

what are death runs?

catchsomezz said:
what are death runs?

IIRC, maxing out the OC regardless of how hot it's running just to do a benchmark and prove how cool you are for having an uber OC.
Dan

The average lifespan of a CPU cannot be really be said in a timeframe.

They are egineered to be used for around 10 years. Well beyond what most consumers will need. Other parts will fail usually before the CPU.

To get a good OC and lifespan out of your item. Try and keep the voltages as low and you can and the heat. Since voltage is a large factor in heat. Not always the case, but overclocking sometimes forces us to use more the stock votages. There is some older units that died when using higher voltages, even with good cooling.

I have had CPU's that were heavily overclocked for years without an issue. I in turn had some die realy fast with out doing much to them.

IMO, take the hardware as far as your willing to risk and replace if need be. You just have to make the call and find out if hardware can live a long and happy usage.

When some benchmark hardware. They do what is called a 'suicide run'. They push well beyond what they run on a 24/7 basis. They are hitting the wall and take the risk of killing hardware to get that little extra for a little bit of time.

I do suicide runs every so often to prove a point for brgging rights on my hardware. I know exactly how far I can go and at what point it is really going to kill my stuff. It is very fun and 'to the edge' knowing at any time. I could end up buying new hardware....

Back