• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Have some questions...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rival904

Registered
Well, seeing how I am prefectly happy with my current system, and can run everything I play fine, I have some extra cash laying around and figured I would do some minor case mods...

First thing I started on tonight was cutting out a fairly large section of my side panel, tommorrow on my way to work I will grab some rubber to put around the edge of the metal, then when I get to work I will mount the plexiglass and what not.

Next thing I have done is ordered 2 12" cold cathlodes, now, heres where it gets tricky!

I havent yet gotten the lights yet, but I am almost 100% sure they will be a standard 4pin molex connector, which is, not want I want. My plan is to rig the lights up to a set of rocker switches I am going to mount in one of my spare 5.25 drive bays, mainly because I dont like lights on in my cases in the day time, dont ask.

So, basically what I would like to know is what to cut, and what to solder onto the switch?

Were the cathodes in a kit? If so, I'm pretty sure they will come with a switch that you install in a PCI bay for the lights. I bought a kit of two 12" cathodes for my Xbox, and got a switch which, now that the cathodes broke, is being used to switch between 5V and 12V for my fans.

Harrison said:
Were the cathodes in a kit? If so, I'm pretty sure they will come with a switch that you install in a PCI bay for the lights. I bought a kit of two 12" cathodes for my Xbox, and got a switch which, now that the cathodes broke, is being used to switch between 5V and 12V for my fans.
I dont want the switch on the back of my case...seems pointless to move my case to turn some lights on...

Well then, it is only held in with two screws. Take them out and mount the switch where you want. They give you more than enough cable to do it.

Rival904 said:
Ok... That kind of got me closer to what I was looking for...

So I just take anyone of the 4 wires, and run it through the switch?
Doesn't the CC kit use two wires actually? You only need to drop the power on one line. Usually the yellow. Since it is the 12V. On a common Molex you have two grounds one 12 volt and one 5 volt.

Black = Ground
Yellow = 12v
Red = 5v

So if your kit has a high and low switch or there abouts. Use the ground. Since it will be the common wire to any part of that circut. Even if it has a dimmer on it. Run the switch inline for the wire.

It is rather easy, but sounds harder then it really is.

Cut wire where you desire.
Solder the switch on. Usually the end that has the device on it. Is on the lower side, for off. :D
Make sure any part of the joint or lead does nto ground out. Sleeving or a cover works great.
Install as desired.

Tip(not in any special order):

Dry fit the work before you cut.
Use a multimeter(DDM) to make sure all the wires are good and solid.
Make sure the switch can be mounted solid and postitioned before you start wiring it
Take your time and make it look and work like it was made to do the job

Last edited:
Back