• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Waiting for affordable Quadcore...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shell

I really want to go over to the Core 2... back to the dark side(it's been YEARS since I've bothered with Intel), but I'm honestly not going to wait forever for better prices and I'm not going from dualcore to dualcore, since my OC'd K8-X2 can still keep up with the C2D at stock.

So why is the C2Q soo much money? I'd expect it to cost no more then double the price of the dualcore "version" at the same Hz rate...

When will a cheaper Quadcore come out and when will a native quadcore solution come out?

I'm hungering for some processing power... but I won't allow myself to buy myself another system if it's not a big enough, leap up.

How much is affordable to you?
double the cost of an E6600? or what?

this first price drop (later this month) will bring the Q6600 down in the $500's and will likely take down the 8X multi quads drop to corespond with that price.

And they will be a measely $266 towards the end of the year :bday:

And I'm not so sure about this statement TBH:
OC'd K8-X2 can still keep up with the C2D at stock.

What? An e4300 at stock speed? ;)

yea and considering 1+Ghz overclocks on C2D.. its definatly a step in the right direction from K8

greenmaji said:
How much is affordable to you?
double the cost of an E6600? or what?
this first price drop (later this month) will bring the Q6600 down in the $500's and will likely take down the 8X multi quads drop to corespond with that price.
An affordable C2Q for me at the moment is about $550CDN max, any more and I will have to skimp on the rest of the hardware.
I really could use the processing power, but I don't have the money. :(
Randyman... said:
What? An e4300 at stock speed? ;)
More around the lines of lying in-between the e6300 and the e6600, the most common C2D's. I'm forcibly trying to keep my computer up to date. :p
greenmaji said:
its definatly a step in the right direction from K8
It's the only step forwards, what other option do I have? Wait for K10? :p

What about native Quadcore? I'm going to be running heavily multithreaded applications that are capable of using all 4 cores, so native quadcore will definately be more efficient for me.

AMD will likely launch native quad core first with the current roadmaps and current Intel motherboards are not going to be compatable with the native quads comming from them so its not something short term to consider.

bandwith isn't all that important with Core performance in RW applications.. there isnt even a noticable differnce clock/clock between C2D and C2Q even benchmarking, you can just do more work on the quad obviously.. Native quads will just bring down heat from the looks of it.

It sounds like the current upcoming price drop will bring C2Q into your price range however.

all this talk of "native" quad core seems silly to me. if you got 4 cores in 1 socket, you've got a REAL quad core.

if you want/need a quad, grab one after the price drops on the 22nd, or wait till the end of summer for the next price drops....pretty simple to me. ;)

Q6600 isn't suppose to drop to $266?

this native and multicore discussion reminds me of PentiumD and the X2 for some reason...

Native Quad Core is Agena for desktop...
Wiki K8L said:
Agena, the native quad-core processor for the desktop, will become the Athlon 64 X4 and a special version called Agena FX will update the Athlon FX line for AMD Quad FX platform.
...and Barcelona for Servers

I am waiting to upgrade my folding farm to quad core too. however, at the current price, I'll pass... even after price cut, $500+ for Q6600 is just too much to upgrade several box.... Q3's price is where I'm waiting for!! plus Q3 is no more than 3 months away anyway!!

however, IF I can find some X3210 and price is much lower than the price cutted Q6600 (low $400 range), I might grab a couple to try tho!!

You and me both LS (my mini farm of 5 machines :rolleyes: ), I tried to PM you a URL that put the x3210 at a little more than $400 bucks. I'd repost the URL, but I've went and lost the freakin' address. :shrug:
According to a member of Team 32 the x3210 (server Q6400) is a better OC'er than the Q6600 :attn: Does the x3210 have 2x 4 MB's cache or is there going to be a server version of the E6420 or are the x3210's true Conroe cores? :confused: (I'm not too sure I even know what a server chip is :eh?: ) Seein' you were on the money concerning a $400+ x3210 in Q2 what do you think they'll go for in Q3 ? (like you said, only a couple a months to go :p )

Yeah I'm waitin' on that nice fat Q6600 Q3 price drop too :drool:

But right now I'm lovin' my E6400 Allendale and E6600 Conroe folding rigs and their 3kPPD production :thup:

Who would have thought a few months ago that two medium cost desktop machines could do that much daily damage LOL.

So is it a fact that Intels upcoming native quad-cores aren't compatible with todays LGA775 boards? That blows.

jws2346 said:
You and me both LS (my mini farm of 5 machines :rolleyes: ), I tried to PM you a URL that put the x3210 at a little more than $400 bucks. I'd repost the URL, but I've went and lost the freakin' address. :shrug:
According to a member of Team 32 the x3210 (server Q6400) is a better OC'er than the Q6600 :attn: Does the x3210 have 2x 4 MB's cache or is there going to be a server version of the E6420 or are the x3210's true Conroe cores? :confused: (I'm not too sure I even know what a server chip is :eh?: ) Seein' you were on the money concerning a $400+ x3210 in Q2 what do you think they'll go for in Q3 ? (like you said, only a couple a months to go :p )
yeah, got your email. as I've suspect, it's gonna be in the low $400 range after April 22nd!! I have the link at home (and deleted the email), I think it's a new from DigiTime.....

Back