• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 unlocking questions...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Patrick G

1. I unlocked my Athlon XP 1800+ using the instructions found at http://www.vr-zone.com/guides/AMD/AthlonXPUnlock/
However after about my 3rd restart, my FSB and multiplier defaulted back to the normal 133 & 11.5x. I again changed the settings to 135 & 12x, and it held for a few restarts, but then just now, it went back to 133 & 11.5x. What would cause this? Is it possible that my mod isn't quite good enough?

2. In the procedure outlined in the link above, what happens if some of the silver conductive grease that's painted across one bridge, comes in contact with one of the strips of grease across the bridge next to it?

3. If I'd like to do this procedure over again, and try to do a little better job, can I? Is it as simple as wiping off the silver conductive grease, and then using an eraser to get the thermal grease out of the bridges? If so, how tuff is it to get all the thermal grease out of the bridges with an eraser? Or is it even necessary?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

That's pretty odd, i'm no expert but the only thing I can think of is maybe your cmos battery is lose or missing and it's not holding the information after prolonged power loss

Might as well be the first guy to give negative comments on this unlocking technique.;) To be honest I think this method is far too dangerous. What happens when things get hot & the grease starts to run? Even if it says it's not going to run by the manufacturer do you guys really trust them to give you money to buy a new CPU when it shorts out? Even with the tape to protect it how long before the grease can get thru the adhesive compound & short out your chip? Do you guys really trust the 2 semi liquids to stay in place after an extended time? The only reason that I see to use this technique would be to have the option to RMA a dead CPU due to user fault. That is not right.

I suggest to use a conductive ink pen & super glue to unlock it. All you have to do is to take your time & have everything prepared before you do it. Do you guys remember when the old birds did not boot or boot but at really low clockspeeds due to a bad pencil trick?

Last edited:
i have used acrylic paint to fill the pits on mine, and know from my first unsuccesful attempt with defogger paint that it is easily removable with acetone (not so sure about superglue). i would also be hesitant to use grease on a chip that is usually mounted horizontally. (i also found on my second successful attempt that a conductive pen is easier to work with than defogger fluid)

Back