• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Transferring boot drive info to raid setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kbtat2

Hello all,
Is there a way to make an image of my boot drive, store it on a seperate storage drive. Reboot, setup the raid 0 config in the bios and transfer the image I created from the storage drive to the new raid 0 setup using Acronis trueimage?

You can do that, but you need to get the RAID controller drivers installed on the current OS before you image it, otherwise when you reimage to the RAID array, you'll BSOD almost certainly on first boot. The tricky part is if your current drive is on said RAID controller using IDE mode with a different driver than what is needed from RAID operation. If it's the NF4 board in your sig, I'm not 100% sure how the drivers work in this situation. I've imaged my RAID install to a single with no driver change on my board, but I'm not sure if it'll work the other way around.

What I think I'd do is this to be safe. Put your current OS drive and backup on SATA ports 3&4 and leave 1&2 open. Enable ports 1&2 for RAID operation, while 3&4 remain IDE(single) operation and boot into Windows. It should pick up the RAID controller as new hardware and either install the drivers if you happened to install everything when you first installed your NF4 drivers or prompt you. Now you could either point it to a folder with the RAID drivers uncompressed from the NF4 platform software or you could cancel the driver install and then run the NF4 software just installing the RAID drivers and that should work. Then image your OS to your backup, install the drives for RAID and configure your array. Then reimage to the new RAID array and set it to boot and you should be good. Good luck.

Very nice. Thanks for your help. I used "nlite" to make the disc that I used to install windows the first time, since I don't have a floppy, so I believe the raid drivers are already there.

Use a your os/apps drive to setup your raid drives. clone your os/app drive to the raid drives. I do it all the time. I use Acronis. I also keep a seperate 80 gig removable hot swap in my safe just for those reasons. I re-clone it about once a month. Cheap insurance.

Well, I gave it a shot but somewhere along the way I must have goofed something up. After all was said and done I got the "0x0000007b" error and it wouldn't boot so I gave up and started over.
I also forgot I have two RAID controllers on this mobo, NVRaid and Silicon Image, until it was too late.
I could have simply did what Stunt said and used Acronis that way but....

Thanks for the help though and maybe someone else will find this when they need it.

Typical of not having any or the wrong drivers installed for the RAID controller. So what setup are you running then?

Im running the Nvidia RAID. The wierd thing is that I made my install disc with Nlite and included the drivers just in case I ever decided to go back to RAID.
The drivers were there but something else went wrong.
As part of my research into this I read an awful lot of bad things about nvidia raid.
Do you think that the Silicon Image raid is better or more reliable?
I haven't done RAID since my old NF7 which was Silicon image.

No, the SI RAID is on the PCI bus and would be bandwidth limited by it so staying the the nVidia RAID controller is the better choice.

Back