• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista Backup/Restore bug!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SybrCLocK

Hello, i want to warn you about some issues ppl will have if they use Vista Backup. Documentation about new products/features is usually very bad with MS for which i apologize. The following issues where tested by me on multiple systems to verify the validity.

1. When you do a Vista Full computer Backup, vista creates a folder called WindowsImageBackup. Inside it, it creates the following folders:
- Your Computer name. Inside that:
- Backup 2007-04-01 155110 (or whatever date)
- Catalog
- MediaId file
Now if you want to restore your PC, boot with your vista DVD -> repair -> Full computer restore. The issues you might bump into are:
a. if you thought the program reads the mediaid file, you where wrong, vista backup program actually reads the Folder name. So if your folder is not named WindowsImageBackup, it wont restore (i thought that was a bit...weird )
b. check that your HDD is on a controller that is recognized by vista setup
Please read second issue as well, as it is tied up with the first one!

2. The second issue you will (NOT might) have is the MOST important one.
If you choose full system restore and you happen to have multiple HDD attached to your computer, of which some are Dynamic disks, they will be formated clean! I tested it @ home, where i lost data, and tested it @ work with a DELL Precision 490. Same result. The Bug is not yet documented as i think i found the issue (not 100% sure)

so, the backup and restore in vista will work fine if you dont have dynamic disks (or if you do remember to unplug them before restore)

hope this helps.
laterz

Thats a nice report, thanks syber. Vista has a ways to go yet, some interesting bugs are popping up even after all the Beta testing. I had one where software triggered a desktop lockout which required re-activation......software, not hardware. There's also problems with an Access DB which is user specific for custom applications in Vista, MS has yet to answer that one.

Back