• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU or memory upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nTesla

Registered
I wanted to find out whether I should upgrade my current CPU (to a dual core) or the memory or not bother at all?

My current specs are:

AMD 3700+ with AC freezer 64pro (stock)
2gb DDR400 ram (4*512mb stocks)
X1900 CF edition (basically X1900XT)
Asrock 939DualSata 2

I'll be using the rig for gaming mainly.

I had in mind:

CPU - AMD X2 4200 (S939)
RAM: Ballistix 2gb (2*1gb PC4000)

Or shall I save my money instead if they is little performance boost??

Many thanks

With the ram you would not notice a difference unless you overclock. I suggest upgrading to 4200+, you would notice far better performances with dual core. =)

Imp:santa:

Thanks guys,

I did forget to add my RAM is running at 2T raher than 1T, and do you think there's much of a performance in CPU as I've read most games don't utilise dual core (and mine uses 1mb cahce rater than the dual cores who use 2x512mb)?

nTesla said:
Thanks guys,

I did forget to add my RAM is running at 2T raher than 1T, and do you think there's much of a performance in CPU as I've read most games don't utilise dual core (and mine uses 1mb cahce rater than the dual cores who use 2x512mb)?

You are right, most games do not utilize dual core. Some do. The ones that do, will show good performance gains. Now if you are like me, even when I game, I have other apps runningin the background. What a dual core does, some one correct me if I am wrong, allow one core to work on the game and the other core to work on everything else in the background. So even though the game doesn't utilize dual core, the game will still have one dedicated core . You can also set priority to cores, which I haven't found the need to do so.

GET A DUAL CORE!

--pak

Back