• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie Questions - overclocking guides/parts/

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bossross

Hi

A few general questions

Can someone suggest some links for an easy guide to overclocking an Asus p5b-Deluxe and E6300 Core 2?

Any suggestions on a power supply for the above?

Any suggestions on memory brand/type?

I'm not a gamer so will it need a graphics card? If so what one?

I'll be just using air cooling and my existing case and hard drives.

My main use is 80% business use, 15% photo editing and 5% video editing. Im trying to built a budget machine but if $20 gives me a much better component I will spend it. I just cant justify a $5000 machine as opposed to a $1500 machine if you know what i mean.

Post in the Intel CPU section about specific E6300/Asus P5B overclocking questions. Generally, you enter the BIOS, increase FSB (system frequency) from 266 MHz to say 300 MHz. That will give you 2.1 gig and now you are overclocked. Most of us want to see how far we can go, so after checking temps and testing for stability, increase FSB again in small increments, like say 5 MHz steps. Again check temps and test for stability. At some point you'll start seeing some instability (lock up, crash, blue screen, or auto reboot), that can usually be helped by bumping up vcore a notch. The trouble is, you can't raise voltage up much unless you have good cooling. Anyway, that's the basics and should get you a modest O/C while learning the basics.

For power supply, a good quality single rail PSU is still what I recommend. The OCZ Powerstream is a proven winner.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817711002

With the E6300, you'll need fairly decent RAM. The G. Skill "HZ" RAM I was going to recommend just jumped up in price about $50 in the last couple of days. But, this G. Skill (see link) is still a good buy and it overclocks quite well (I have a couple buddies with this same RAM).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231087

If you are not a gamer, then you don't need a high dollar vid card. Maybe look at the Nvidia 7900GS, that's a good bang for the buck and will work great for video editing.

Back