• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4x1gb of ram, e6600, QuadGT- Overclock Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chaos_Being

Like many others I'm sure, I'm going to be building a Conroe rig once the April 22nd price drops hit. The interesting thing I've been watching though lately is the ram prices- boy have they dropped! In particular, I was linked to these Super Talent ram sticks:

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=T800UX2GC5

$104 for 2gb is insanely cheap in my opinion...which leads me to want to try using 4 sticks for 4GB of ram. However, I am still not entirely sure on how much of an effect this would have on my overclocking capability. I know past chipsets have had problems overclocking while all 4 ram slots are populated. I've seen some reports that this may not be the case any longer, but I am still unsure.

Like I said in the title, I plan on using an e6600, an Abit QuadGT, and of course, 4x1gb of ram. My overclocking goal is 3.6ghz on air (probably the Ultra-120 Extreme, as it is coming out in a matter of days and the IFX-14 seems to be due to be released in May now.)

Your opinions?

I've overclocked 4 sticks before and while you do sometimes take a minor hit in max O/C, if all 4 sticks are identical, then you want lose much. The more sticks you have, the more chance one will be an underperformer and you can only go as fast as the slowest stick of course. That said, with an E6600 at 400 FSB, the RAM will be running at exactly the rated spec. I don't think that will be a problem. If the RAM can't run at what it's advertised to do, then it's RMA time.

You do have Vista, right? Win XP won't run 4 gig of RAM without doing some sort of hack.

Thanks for the help Batboy, as always :D

Since I don't plan on overclocking the ram, I also felt that it probably wouldn't be a big problem. It's good to get some confirmation though. As of now, I'm still using XP, so I already know that I won't be able to "see" all 4 GB (probably more like 3-3.5, from what I've read so far.) I'm fine with that. Once more of the bugs/incompatibilities are ironed out, then I'd upgrade to the 64-bit version of Vista.

Back