• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Scared ****less

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LittleWashu

My rig
Aeoncraft
asus p5n-e-sli
intel e [email protected]
2 gig corsair ddr 800
g force 8800 gts 640mb
Asus liquid cooling system
850 watt ps
Tranformer case(nooisy as hell have 6 fans
This should be an excellent system to over clock but I have never done this before and am afraid of screwing up an $1900 pc. I ran 3d mark 06 and got a score of 9000 3d marks. I know with what I have it is capable of much more but like I said im scared stiff of over clocking the video card and cpu. Anyone from pittsburgh on here that might be able to show me the ropes????:beer:

it's not hard to, i would look at some stickies in the cooling, cpu, general hardware, and nvidia sub section. their are guides there which will benefit you greatly.

Most hardware nowdays needs a serious thrashing before it dies (read=massive overvolting/physical damage inflicted) Hell I had my 2800+ all the way up to 1.7v and saw no problems, besides heat lmao

just start very small and keep an eye on your temps. Thats how i started and as i got more confident you can increase you clock.. :)

I would suggest you simply spend a night or two reading stickies and just some general threads in the appropriate section for what you are trying to overclock and then just slowly go at it. With modern computers having overheating alerts and throttling you should be ok as long as you take it slow and watch that the amount of volts you are running are ok for your hardware.

shard said:
Most hardware nowdays needs a serious thrashing before it dies (read=massive overvolting/physical damage inflicted) Hell I had my 2800+ all the way up to 1.7v and saw no problems, besides heat lmao

Yeah, once my vapochill crapped out for about a second (just turned off and then back on) while the CPU was running under about 1.7volts, and the chip was still prime stable so there didn't seem to be any lasting damage.

As far as overclocking the card is concerned, just download Riva Tuner:

http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?page=rivatuner

and crank up the speeds a bit, that kind of software OC isn't likely to do any damage.

For the CPU there is some good info here:

http://www.overclock.net/intel-motherboards/146744-asus-p5n-e-sli-650i-thread.html

that should get you started, and if you have any specific problems just post them in the intel CPU or Asus mobo section.

Back