• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Monitor not receiving a signal, not sure what to blame

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Herr Rogers

About a week ago my comp just started freezing in the middle of WoW. I'd restart and then 5 min into WoW it would do it again. After 3/4 restarts my computer just crapped out on me (would not display picture). I did a lil bit of diagnostics, not as much as I should of, but I was jumping to extremes and I decided to RMA the video card. I got my new card today but still my computer wont even display a picture. The computer will load into windows (I can hear the windows startup sound in my headset), but still no picture on my monitor. I have no idea what to test if I can't see anything on my screen... Any ideas?

EDIT: Oh yeah, also. When I start my comp all the fans will start spinning for like a second, then they will slow down almost to a halt, then the computer will start up again...

i reset cmos, still no picture. I'm working on the monitor aspect. That's basically all i could think of as well... Hopefully it's one of those or i'm SOL. I dont have an abundance of parts to replace/test with

Ive been having the same problem with my comp. for awhile now, maybe around 2 months. My problem has something to do a driver issue dealing with nvlddmkm.sys which is apparently bothering a lot of people and from what i know there is no real fix for yet :( Which version of Windows are you running?

Herr Rogers said:
EDIT: Oh yeah, also. When I start my comp all the fans will start spinning for like a second, then they will slow down almost to a halt, then the computer will start up again...

That is not a monitor issue. This sounds more like a PSU issue. Maybe the card is not getting enough power to run? Try the monitor and video card in anoter computer first. If they work, it is probably your PSU.

yeah i should test the PSU. I've got such an epic wiring drop im gonna hate taking it out. Does mounting your PSU upside down have a negative effect on performance? That's the only way it would fit in the case.

Herr Rogers said:
yeah i should test the PSU. I've got such an epic wiring drop im gonna hate taking it out. Does mounting your PSU upside down have a negative effect on performance? That's the only way it would fit in the case.

I've got mine mounted upside down. It doesn't matter.:)

hmmm...you would think my PSU could power my vid card. I guess i just need to get it tested. thanks guys

Back