• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Harddrive "clicks"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vondoom

I just purchased a new Seagate sata drive today. Just got done formatting and noticed that the harddrive makes a clicking sound every now and then.. Is this normal or just I exchange the hdd for another?

Vondoom said:
I just purchased a new Seagate sata drive today. Just got done formatting and noticed that the harddrive makes a clicking sound every now and then.. Is this normal or just I exchange the hdd for another?
Does it click when it is trying to load something? If so, replace, it will die soon. I actually had a customer bring in a laptop that was doing this. It would stop loading from the HDD every 5 seconds and just click....click....click....click...*continues loading* and repeating...it was bad.

If the clicking sounds different then when the hard drive is in use, replace it.

I will have to pay closer attention and see exactly when it does this.. I have defragged a few times and no clicks so far, I just don't want to take any chances on losing all my data later on down the road.

Depends. My seagate makes a click every now and then, but its when it goes into power sustain mode and the disk spins down and head returns to center of platter. If it clicks alot that usual means something is causing the head to snap back to the center of the platter such as under spinning or a scratch on the platter. Its a new drive so I say replace it. No reason it should be making strage noises when its brand new. Prolly just a dud.

Sometimes a drive can makea slight clicking sound when the head parks. This usually only happens at certian times. You can have a good chance of reproducing the sound.

The other reason is not so sublime. If your not confident on the drive and you honestly think the drive is bunk. Get a RMA.

Well, hasn't clicked for about 5/10 minutes now. It may be just fine. I'll run the tests on it and see if everything checks out ok.

S.M.A.R.T. may not pick up a bad bearing. That is usually a clicking sound. If the bearing is bad enough. Yes it may be picked up. By that time, it may be trashed. Then the disk may not be functioning right. The diag should pick that up.

Give it some time, and see if the sound returns.

I would give the drive a good spin. If you hear the clicking, time for an RMA.

I used to have a maxtor drive that use to click frequently. I contacted maxtor and they informed me that the motor for the drive "could" possibly be going bad or is bad, a few days later the drive died. This could be one possible reason why you are hearing the clicking noise from the harddrive.

There is nothing like a good backup just incase you gotta toss that bad drive :)

Back