• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVD Play back is Bad for some reason.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Angry

Okay my complete setup.(literaly)

20gig Western Digital AtA 66 Hardrive (19 gig actualy)
10gig partition for Win2k
9gig partition for WinMe
ATI Radeon 7200/Radeon SDR clocked at 168/168
Athlon Slot A 550 clocked at 611 111x5.5 at +0.2v
192 meg pc100 Cas2 (3x64) at 147mhz
300watt ATX Herochi PS
230watt Deer AT PS for cpu fans
32x Liteon CD-Rom
12x (40x cd) Delta DVD rom
52meg IDE (VERY OLD) hardrive for backing up small files (note Win2k does not acknowledge this hardrive Only WinMe)
Aztec 56k Modem
Cyber Acoustics speakers, 2 7 watt subs and 4 4 watt satelites.
Creative Web Cam 3 Plus!
17inch Monitor max res 1024x768x32

Okay Before I started dual booting I could watch DVD's very smoothly, Matrix, Xmen, Lain (all), 6th Sense you name it, ALL worked great with ATI DVD software that made DVD's run off the video card.

What I have done so far:
I got the Mummy Returns DVD for my birthday ( and a huge thing of pepsi woohoo! lol) The DVD and sound are choppy..it wasnt like this before and it has me thinking, So I installed teh drivers that came with the card forin WinMe...still choopy went back to newest ones. Went into Win2k and loaded up ATI DVD software, Still choppy sound included. So I have everything updated to the newest drivers except in Win2k I have drivers from Pinky installed.
Im a little confused...*scratches head* The DVD's were playing great before I started dual booting but...now sound and video is choppy...

:confused:

Thanks in advance.

hmm Im not sure how i fixed But they are running much smoother and so are my games.. went to rage3d.com and did almost everything this said to do with the registry and and other files, Its all under Advanced Tweaking..Man Im glad a remembered that site. 4x4 Evolution really showed a boost...

anything for optimizing a Voodoo3 ? I too play 4x4 evo, and the graphics are always frame-per-frame, not as bad as in Need for Speed Porsche unleashed though !

well minoukat, the radeon is pretty good and needed optimizing, the Voodoo3 2000 PCI is just plain slow...why dont you try overclocking?

Well I found out what it was, seems sometimes my system would boot up with DMA enabled on the DVD rom and sometimes not...:confused: need to figur that one out....

minoukat,
I have some old hacked V3 drivers that worked very well back in my K6-2 500 days and still did when I moved to teh Athlon 550 (then went to KT7a 1ghz Athlon *sniff* dont get me started)
Ill dig for them and post a link..

Last edited:
Found them...just where I left them...
You may have to install these the old fashioned way..Im not sure because I have been away from V3 for tooo long....

http://www.geocities.com/angryfuture/

These drivers work fien with 3dmark 2000 and 3dmark 2001, They enabled many a hinden feature that actualy worked and hardware t&L was enabled on I think the V3 3000 that I had...but only worked in 3dmark 2000, 3dmark 2001 didnt recognize it as haveing hardware t&L I have the Orb sheet to prove it on mad onion.
Wonder If this link works..

http://gamershq.madonion.com/products/orb/?3d2k_details.shtml?&prid=1879342

Going to have to get my V3 2000 ( first 3d card that I ever had) from my dads pc or get my V3 3000 from my friends pc...and see what they still have to offer...not much I know but what the hey not like they cant play UT...

Last edited:
Welcome....they were the best back in my V3 days...

My experiences:

Running in Win2k I get choppy/unstable playback using ATI DVD, with Win98 it was fine. With the Creative Dxr3 decoder card I get excellent DVD playback (in Win2k), but have a conflict with the ATI stuff and can't use the TV tuner/vid capture. I was not able to resolve either of these issues, though I plan a dual boot to solve this issue. Have you tried DVD playback in your WinME boot or just Win2k?

Angry said:
Well I found out what it was, seems sometimes my system would boot up with DMA enabled on the DVD rom and sometimes not...:confused: need to figur that one out....

Yeah, DMA was kinda weird for me, too. I screwed around with the VIA drivers for the IDE controllers before I got it enabled on every drive. I think I had to uninstall the drivers and let them reinstall themselves. My primary HD was running in PIO4 until then! DMA didn't help my DVD playback though.

This was with Both Me and Win2k..but now when I make sure DMA is enabled the DVDs run smooth as silk, well at least in WinMe..but now it seems WinMe is messed up again,
Man and I thought Win2k was picky about what you installed in it...

funnyperson1 said:
well minoukat, the radeon is pretty good and needed optimizing, the Voodoo3 2000 PCI is just plain slow...why dont you try overclocking?

Sorry for the late reply ! Just read it today by going up in the posts ! :rolleyes: :cool:

anyway, I already tried ocing the V3, but it's a PCI version so the bandwidth is really cheap. I didn't even give me better fps in NFS PU, and it was almost to the max of what the card could support (had it @ 190MHz, by what the proggy said, higher than that and it would freeze and give me errors everytime I started a game or video intensive app

Back