• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Penryn running in current motherboards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GigaHertzAddict

I'm interested in this.. I don't see why they shouldn't work in current motherboards... Intel is running them in a modified version of badaxe2(so they say). Does anyone have any info on this subject? I just spend almost $200 for a mobo that I want to use for the upcoming cpus, and I'm sure you all feel the same way.

VRM updates alow lower voltage booting.. its a standard not voltage regulation (yours being 8-phase current VRM standard voltage regulation, the gigabyte 975X is stuck at pressler/cedarmill with VRM 9 standard and 8-phase voltage regulation for instance)

hexus doesn't say they tried it.. there educated guesses are as good as ours.. if the badaxe2 needed to be hard modified that points to one most likely conclusion.. VRM update needed.

well irc that the intel bxb2 does support penryn , dont quote me on that. i just remember reading a that news posting a while back. showing pernyn vs x6800, they stated it was running in the intel xbx2 mobo.

They also said in the same artical they needed to modify the badaxe2 itself to get the pernyn to run on it. (that is what I was refering to with my last stament before ;) )

I am certain I read at Techreport in one news piece or another about Penryn that it 'may run on some current motherboards' and that info had come from Intel. I know that's not worth much at this point and maybe there is newer concrete statements so all we can do is wait and see.

GigaHertzAddict said:
I thought the board have a 8 phase VRM... It even says so on their website...:confused:

Yes, it is, even the controller has only 4 !

Because Asus designer hacked the controller by adding additional inverted line on each channel, so 4 channels X 2 = 8 phases ! Still count though ! :)

Btw, it supports both VR10.x and VR11 specifications.

Logically, the new Penryn with 45nm technology will need lower vcore from the current 65nm.

Just pray that our P5B-Deluxe is not handicapped by those Asus engineer at those VIDx pins, cause once they "physically" blocked at those VIDx pins on 0.5 Volt up to <1.1000 Volt range, no bios revision can help us. :bang head

if Penryn gets dropp into some dual cores then i could see needing lower voltage but this thing is still a quad core. i wouldnt be suprised if the max voltage is 1.3-1.35v in that range. we just dont know yet... only intel and the hush hush group knows.

Something like 1.1v core voltage for Penryn is not likely. I suspect 1.25v or something within that range. Especially since these things are going to go past 3GHz. And wait a minute, I remember the gigabyte 965 mobo supports even below 1.0v in the bios. (I could be wrong). Also I remember a ton of mobos that needed just a bios update to run cedarmill/presler cpus. oh well lets wait... I have a feeling we might see these sooner than we think.

Back