Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.
Forum Jump

Expanding Raid 0 array to upgrade to larger drives?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 04-22-07, 10:35 AM Thread Starter   #1
richklein

Expanding Raid 1 array to upgrade to larger drives?

Hi,

I currently have a 400gb raid 1 mirror array. I would like to purchase some inexpensive 500gb drives to make a larger raid 1 mirror. Can I simply put one of the 500gb's into the array, wait until its mirrored, then swap out the other 400gb drive for another 500 to convert it all to 500?

Or should I just build the 500 raid 1 array & then plug one of the 400gb drives into the PC & copy the files over?

Thanks,
Rich

Last edited by richklein; 04-23-07 at 12:07 AM.
richklein is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-22-07, 12:33 PM   #2
billb

Quote:
Originally Posted by richklein
...then plug one of the 400gb drives into the PC & copy the files over?
Copy the files over? You've got some reading to do.
If you could "copy the files over" I'd be at your house offering to buy a copy of your OS and all your programs....and Bill Gates would be broke.

Old 04-22-07, 01:15 PM Thread Starter   #3
richklein

Im not sure what you mean. With my current raid 0 array, couldnt I plug one of the two 400gb hard drives into a different SATA port & copy the data of the drive?

EDIT: I just reread that, I meant raid 1 (mirroring). Sorry, Raid 0 is the speedy raid (not what I am using).

So would it work for raid1?
richklein is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-23-07, 06:47 AM   #4
coin

if you put a 500Gb drive into the RAID 1 array (I assume pretending that you have had a single drive failure) then it will just mirror the 400Gb partition and leave 100Gb unused space. If you want a 500Gb mirror you will have to create a second array with the 500Gb drives and copy the data over.
coin is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 04-24-07, 01:57 PM   #5
billb

Quote:
Originally Posted by richklein
Im not sure what you mean.

EDIT: I just reread that, I meant raid 1 (mirroring). Sorry, Raid 0 is the speedy raid (not what I am using).

So would it work for raid1?
Yes, what he said.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.