• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hard time finding the perfect psu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lekyiscool

ok just when i thought i found the best psu for me the silverstone olympia it has an 8 pin pcie issue (wrong layout) and it squells when idle
so im back looking for a new psu ive searched and no luck so far since i do not know alot of the higquality psu

so im looking for a 750w psu
solidd and highquality sleeved cables
not modular
150mm length if possible
and one pcie 8 pin connector

thanks and recomendatiosn would be great

well so far its e6600 or 6420 (not much diffirence besides multi)
corsar xms2 ddr 800
lite on sata2 dvd drive
evga 8800gts 640mb until now most likely wiat another 6 weeks for 8900 ultra if it comes out if not possible SLI in future
evga 680 i ( iwant to get this bad but not looking forward to any failures, hopefully i wont run into problems)
either that mobo or another if anyones able to convince me
all fit into a lian li v1000 or antec 900 most likely the v1000 since its my dream case just waiting for money to come along and for 600 so price drops on nvidia cards hopefully

yea thats the one i wanted to get

but it buzzes when idle numerous people have stated that issue and also wrong 8 pin pcie connector

nothing over 200 canadian would rather keep it around 150 dollars

i dont mind spending money on a quality psu since its pretty darn importnat

Best supply I ever boght

Years back I read everything I could on PC supplies and ended up buying TTGI or Super Flower supplies. Still running them and despite being cheap they performed better than all the other brands I have bought since. Can't even find the TTGI supplies anymore so perhaps they aren't popular in the US or no longer made. My plan now is to move those supplies from my units that have gone obsolete to my primary workstations and place the newer, more expensive supplies into the rigs that are considered secondary units. Recently I ordered a new Antec supply based on the single 80mm fan design as one of my cases made by Lian-Li mounts the supply such that the 120mm fan faces the side of the case instead of the CPU. Despite this huge case design flaw the TTGI supply cooled the case and CPU better than much more expensive supplies despite it's fans pointing the wrong way too. Antec supply probably has cpu cooling vents in the wrong side of the case for the Lian-Li case as well but can't be anyworse than having the fan sucking air from a closed off panel, or will it? To make matters worse this Lian-Li case was designed with such a small footprint that the PC supply hangs directly over the CPU so I had to use one of those low profile server style collers were noise is not a consideration. Thankfully the case has a top blow hole but that will be the last small foot print case I ever buy due to all the grief in working on it or keeping parts cool. Lian-Li builds a fine case but that model was a bad choice and will dedicate it to a workstation that doesn't get pushed to extreme temps.

My next project is to build a proper PC bench station and plan to use a pair of supplies in that so I can dedicate one to the motherboard and the other to the drives. A third fanless supply I salvaged from a old external drive case will serve to operate the lighting in the bench station so I can work on the sucker without powering it up yet still see that micro fine silkscreen image of JP1 or whatever. Haven't even started that project but collecting the parts and planning the design such that the PC supply isn't mounted next to the CPU as required by ATX design. Dang thing in the way on a test station and prefer to not mount hot components next to what I am most concerned about cooling off anyway.

Back