• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC won't shut down, only restarts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kayson

For some strange reason, whenever I click shut down, my PC reboots instead. I end up having to manually shut it down every time. It's not really a big deal since its on almost all the time, but I'm just kinda curious if anyone has any ideas about whats goin on.

My friend had the same problem a few weeks ago. An explanation for such a phenomona could be that Windows restarts the computer whenever a system failure occurs. Therefore, if something was to induce a system failure during your shutdown process, Windows would restart the computer instead of shutting it down. To see if this is the problem go to:

My Computers>Properties>Advanced>Settings (under Startup and Recovery)>uncheck Automatic Restart

This would stop Windows from restarting whenever a system failure occurs. If the computer stops rebooting after this, than you know you have something causing your system to fail. At least your computer will shut down though! :D

ancalime said:
My friend had the same problem a few weeks ago. An explanation for such a phenomona could be that Windows restarts the computer whenever a system failure occurs. Therefore, if something was to induce a system failure during your shutdown process, Windows would restart the computer instead of shutting it down. To see if this is the problem go to:

My Computers>Properties>Advanced>Settings (under Startup and Recovery)>uncheck Automatic Restart

This would stop Windows from restarting whenever a system failure occurs. If the computer stops rebooting after this, than you know you have something causing your system to fail. At least your computer will shut down though! :D

I really doubt this is it, you would know if it failed to shutdown, it tells you.

In your BIOS, do you have a Wake-On-LAN option? Is it off? See if there are other Wake-On-xxxx and turn them off.

It could be a registry issue actually. I had the same problem for MONTHS.

If you go into hkey-->local machine--->software--->Microsoft (and either here or in Microsoft--->Windows you might see a key with some bizarre symbols. Deleting this key solved my problem.)

thideras said:
I really doubt this is it, you would know if it failed to shutdown, it tells you.

In your BIOS, do you have a Wake-On-LAN option? Is it off? See if there are other Wake-On-xxxx and turn them off.
That's probably it. I turned on allow pci devices to turn on the pc because I wanted to do WOL. Guess I'll have to turn it off.

Its none of those things!

Obviously God doesn't want you to turn off the computer!

Back