• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB Issue.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Skeith

I have a USB adaptor that allows me to use a playstation controller as a computer game pad. When I plug it into my laptop I get the message "One or more devices on the USB has malfunctioned" or however it goes. If I plug it into a USB hub it will recignize it and fail to install, finnaly If I plug the hubs external supply in, it works fine.

So does this mean that the laptops USB cannot supply enough power for it? Seems odd because usualy windows gives a message saying that the USB is overpowered. Its annoying because I need to have a hub pluged in, in order to use it.

Yea just sounds like it's pulling more power than the laptop can supply, even overpowered.

What If I splice a second USB cords power line to it and plug it into 2 ports like some of the external hard drives do? Does each port have its own power quota or is it cumuliative.

Ok so I fiddled around a bit more. I pulled the +5 line from the PCB and wired it to a 5v regulator that I supplied from an external battery keeping it common ground. It worked on my desktop PC so I knew the external supply was working. So I plug it into my laptop. Same thing message as before.
If I plug it into the hub, it works without the hubs supply.

I removed the external supply I added to It and pluged it directly to the hub again. This time the USB cannont supply enough power message came up. Plugging in the hub fixed it and the adaptor worked.

So it seems that it only will work through a hub, for whatever reason and its not a power issue. I tried updating the drivers on the USB controller, still nothing. I havent had any problems with my USB mouse or flash drive on the laptop so far, and I havent tried the USB from my camera because the laptop has built in card readers. I just dont get it. And I deffinately know its not a power error because the laptop can supply enough power to run my USB scanner with no problems.

Does anyone have any Ideas on what to do? This is annoying the hell out of me.

The usb adaptor is part of the 82801G chipset that is one of intels ICH7 family chipsets. Anyone had problems with this before?

This is the only computer in my house that the PS2 USB adaptor will not work on, I have tried it on 7 seperate machines!!! (not including the laptop)

Back