• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLI 8800GTS... an alternative to the GTX??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gg_Malkavian

Registered
Hey guys!

I'm building a new pc if the coming days and I've been thinking a LOT about which VC to get. Here's something interesting I found out :

2 8800GTS 320 MB in SLI outperforms a 8800GTX big time. For exemple, in Oblivion, in 1240x1024 and all the graphical options to the max, SLI GTS 320 MB gives 63.6 FPS versus 43.6 FPS for the GTX. Just go to this link and see for yourself :

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_sli2007.html

So... since a 8800GTS 320 MB ain't even costing half of a GTX, shouldn't I just get 2 GTS 320 MB???

BTW : I only play games at 1240 x 1024.

Well even if this is true you should keep in mind that you won't be able to upgrade the GTS's in sli. If you need more power in the future you have to throw out those two and throw in a new gpu.

On the other hand with a 8800GTX you can just get another one when you need it (which will be alot cheaper then) and put them in SLI.

I'd say, if you don't need the little bit extra performance right now get a single GTX.

Don't forget there's hidden costs in SLI. You may need to upgrade cooling to dissipate the extra heat and possibly a more robust power supply to generate the required power output. Not to mention when you upgrade you'll have to sell 2 cards and maybe buy 2 more. If you actually need all that power, I would say go for the single 8800GTX. If not, look at a single 8800 GTS 320 or 640 and Overclock to get the FPS you want.

Back