• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Likely switch to nVidia need help picking a GPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
Well after time, and finding out that the 2900XT isn't stackin well agasint the 8800GTX model, more or less its closer the 8800GTS model. Now the choice for switchin to nVidia is higher. Had hopes for the ATI card but its a grim site with only savior is hopefully a successful 65nm die shrink for the XTX model with much higher clocks.

Anyways to end my disappointment considering cards here. Its been a long time since I've done a nVidia card, 5 years now, and well ALOT has changed. Last nVidia card I had was a Leadtek TI4400, so its truely been a WHILE.

Whats the good brand names, whats the good cards, ones to stay away from? Any word of a price drop even though ATI/AMD doesn't have any thing to even threaten there power crown?

As well might consider SLI in the future all depending of course but still its a consideration.

I play games at 1920x1200, or at least TRY to ;) With about everything maxed. AA has really little use for me, sure I'll use it if my frame rates are great, but otherwise I rather have more eye candy than AA unless its really bad.

It was my understanding that the 2900XT is on the same level as the 8800GTS and the 2900XTX would be the competitor to the 8800GTX...

CGR said:
It was my understanding that the 2900XT is on the same level as the 8800GTS and the 2900XTX would be the competitor to the 8800GTX...

Well thats what it should be but even a 2900XT OC'ed can't yield more than 13 maybe 15% more in performance which would be the 2900XTX essentially, and at that the 2900XTX is coming 3rd Quarter if lucky.

I'm sure you have a pretty good grasp on the performance of the different cards, My suggestion would be select Evga for your purchase, They will let you use aftermarket cooling and not void your warranty, They have a very good warranty, And they actually stand behind their products. Evga really impressed me during the entire fiasco that went on early with the 79 series of cards, People had to RMA cards several times and Evga kept their end of the bargain until the problems were worked out. Xfx on the other hand shut down their forums when all the problems arose. I must also say that I have had very good luck with Leadtek cards and my one experience with their customer service, I had a 68gt die, I had put a Zalman 77cu on it, I called, Told the truth, And they honored the warranty ( Which of course I clearly voided when I put on the cooler ) and replaced the card. I know BFG also used to be very well thought of in regard to customer service, You really don't seem to hear that much about them anymore, I have no idea if they are still as solid as they were in the past.

deathman20 said:
Well thats what it should be but even a 2900XT OC'ed can't yield more than 13 maybe 15% more in performance which would be the 2900XTX essentially, and at that the 2900XTX is coming 3rd Quarter if lucky.

Yes, but I thought the whole delay for the XTX was so it would have the 65nm die over the XT, which has 80nm?

Could be wrong on that though. Personally I would rather see what the XTX can do against the GTX. I have no need to get DX10 yet and my 1900xt does fine for what I do atm.. Though I play games in a far lower res than you do..

ScottinIndy said:
I'm sure you have a pretty good grasp on the performance of the different cards, My suggestion would be select Evga for your purchase, They will let you use aftermarket cooling and not void your warranty, They have a very good warranty, And they actually stand behind their products. Evga really impressed me during the entire fiasco that went on early with the 79 series of cards, People had to RMA cards several times and Evga kept their end of the bargain until the problems were worked out. Xfx on the other hand shut down their forums when all the problems arose. I must also say that I have had very good luck with Leadtek cards and my one experience with their customer service, I had a 68gt die, I had put a Zalman 77cu on it, I called, Told the truth, And they honored the warranty ( Which of course I clearly voided when I put on the cooler ) and replaced the card. I know BFG also used to be very well thought of in regard to customer service, You really don't seem to hear that much about them anymore, I have no idea if they are still as solid as they were in the past.

Ya been looking at the EVGA cards, just wasn't sure if there was a better choice, didn't think so but safer than sorry.

And speaking of the cards I know they run warm but how warm does it run? Its not like my X1900XT runs cool by any means, running 65-75C depending on the time of year. Any good aftermarket coolers for them to make them chill a bit more? Rather pick one up right away and get it chillin than wait a few months where the purchase doesn't seem as nice if I do end up replacing the card.

As well the OC on the card doesn't mean much since well you can OC them yourselves but are some of the OCed cards better than others?

CGR said:
Yes, but I thought the whole delay for the XTX was so it would have the 65nm die over the XT, which has 80nm?

Could be wrong on that though. Personally I would rather see what the XTX can do against the GTX. I have no need to get DX10 yet and my 1900xt does fine for what I do atm.. Though I play games in a far lower res than you do..

Well yes the delay was for the smaller die because there having issues getting it to ramp up to speed even on the smaller die. Sure I'd wait but my cards been stretched at this resolution for a long time. If I was running a 1680x1050 res, surely I could go a bit longer without any hardship. I really did want the XTX originally but it was pushed more and more, XT became my sight and now the XT is on par with the GTS. Well way below preformance from what we where all expecting. I don't mind supporting the under dog but they need to get there act in gear and stop holding back.

i have always had good luck with XFX and now that they have changed thier warrenty making it ok to put after market coolers on them even better!

Lol that was quick Deathman, I wouldn't be so fast to jump ship, all those reviews out at the moment seem exact copies of each other (same games, same benchmarks). I would wait for the tests of retail cards. Initial reviews are seldom accurate.

Neural Net said:
Lol that was quick Deathman, I wouldn't be so fast to jump ship, all those reviews out at the moment seem exact copies of each other (same games, same benchmarks). I would wait for the tests of retail cards. Initial reviews are seldom accurate.

Not jumping ship yet not sure how much I want to spend anymore. Just getting ready for other options. As well getting info for a friend since hes building a system and wants something very comparable to mine since we play very similar games.

Widening my view to the other green thats all.

Back