• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVD SATA with WinXP will install??? Will need to use floppy for driver??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gemini1706

I am building this new system (C2D etc), and was wondering if getting a true SATA DVD is worthwile??
Sometimes I hear you need to install some drivers before widnows installs, otherwise it does not recognize the drive?
Is this true?

I am using DS3 mobo with 6420 C2D and 8800GTS 320MB.

Any bios setting?

What I want is flawless install of windows XP, otherwise I may just use an older IDE DVD/CD drive.

I am thinking of this one SATA DVD drive:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106057

SI it true these drives will not burn DVD on Intel ICH7R chipset??

Very confusing :(

Thanks a lot in advance.

I don't know about the DS3, but my P5B-Deluxe WiFi and P5B-E both worked flawlessly with SATA DVD Drives, and installing XP from the SATA DVD Drive. I use SATA Port #3 on both systems, and I never had a single issue, and did not need drivers.

I should add that I slipstream my Intel "INF" Chipset drivers onto the XP CD (I Extract the INF installer to a folder, and integrate the "ICH8 Core" driver with nLite) , but I really don't think that matters as far as installing off the SATA DVD drive...

If you DID need drivers to see the SATA DVD drive, nLite makes slipstreaming them onto the XP Install CD very easy... And integrating the "Ryan VM" update pack with nLite gets you 95% up-to-date the second the XP Installation finishes w/o doing the Windows Update crapola. Too cool.

:cool:

Back