• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Exploding MOSFET on Asus P5WDH Deluxe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vwilsonuk

Hi everyone,

This weekend I've been building a new PC, and today I got to the point of powering it up. The fans started but then almost immediately the whole thing would power itself off again. I tried it a couple of times (to try and figure out if I could see what was going on), and on the last attempt a bit of black "something" came hurtling out.

Turns out the bit of black is the top of the APM3095P MOSFET just along from the CPU fan socket. Photo here.

Guessing this will mean a new motherboard, but I've no idea why this would have happened. Can only imagine I must have got something really, really wrong, but noone I know who has built machines themselves has ever experienced anything like this. All of the kit is brand new.

I definitely don't want to try powering it up again until I know exactly what's gone on here, and I'm loathe to just switch the motherboard in case the same thing happens again.

The motherboard is an Asus P5WDH Deluxe. PSU is a Corsair Modular 620W. 1Gb of Crucial Ballistix RAM in DIMM_A2, and an Intel E6700 2.66GHz with Intel's own heatsink that came with the CPU. Graphics card is an HIS ATI Radeon X1950XT but I doubt that'll be relevant.

Would be very grateful of any input :-/

Victoria

Thanks for the reply. Do you think its something I might've done or something to do with the setup? I've not done a lot of this sort of things so I'm a bit paranoid I've done something retarded, and of course I don't want to do the same thing to a new board.

well... try seeing if it will work... it may just become really unstable!

but more than likely you need to rma it but the rest of your set-up seems fine

Back