• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please Read - This is for all involved in the Seti Effort

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SpeeDj

To the Seti Team, and Members;

I feel I owe an apology to all in regards to the chat room situation that had arisen. The idea behind it was sound, however the execution was not. I received quite a few complaints in reference to it. It would seem that the same decorum that was applied to the forums did not apply in the chat room; people were taking part in flaming other members who could not in any way know that it was happening because they were not there to defend themselves. Unfortunately bad mouthing other members is not something that can, nor will be tolerated. It was also made mention of warez and the like in the room. The thing that hurt the most was that room was a place where we could all gather and chit chat, a place in which you would want to be proud of, No matter who would drop in to visit. That chat was a place that symbolized the team effort, a place that reflected upon our Team as a whole. In turn our team reflects upon overclockers. I was ashamed when I heard of what was going on within the room. I fully admit to deleting the posts which referenced to it, I apologize for not giving reason or reference up until this point.

To those who have left because of it, I am truly sorry. Your place on the team will always be here waiting for you to come back. To those who are contemplating leaving, drop me a line I am and always will be here to listen. I feel that a lot of your feel me to be unapproachable, or aloof. Such is not the case I am truly here to listen and be here to help in whatever way I can. I have had and continue to have an open door policy. It would be a shame to lose others of our team. We need to stick together, sure you may not always see eye to eye with the next person but that could be the next person to save your life. Please treat everyone how you would like to be treated. The bickering needs to end, we need to be able to push on, to strive, to succeed with our team. I feel we have lost a little bit of that steam that we once had to push on with. To that effect I have brought on board Mark, 13oots2 for the purpose of morale checking, and boosting.

I once again do sincerely apologize to all of you; the last thing I wanted a chat room to accomplish was to make people leave the team. If you can see it in your hearts to come back you are always welcome here. Hopefully this clears some things up, I hope there will be no hard feelings, again I am always here to talk to, e-mail me [email protected] or just drop me a pm to talk to me and let me know what your feelings are. I am here for you, and the team.

Sincerely, Jeremy Paasch
Seti @ Home Team Co-Leader
Learn how to overclock @ www.overclockers.com

SpeeDj said:
To the Seti Team, and Members;

I feel we have lost a little bit of that steam that we once had to push on with. To that effect I have brought on board Mark, 13oots2 for the purpose of morale checking, and boosting.

I would firstly like to say I volunteered for the morale work, and any information that has been relayed to me by Members has been treated anonomously. No names have been mentioned in any PM's to Speedj, or anything discussed in confidence between myself and Jeremy, relayed to the Team.

If there is anything that you wish to bring up about the Team, this is the time to do it. I know some are unhappy with certain aspects of the Team, if you feel it cannot be posted in this Thread please feel free to PM me your thoughts. Now is a perfect time to air any Team concerns. If you have any thoughts, please add to this Thread, for the benefit of all.

Thanks

Mark

Well, I'm still a newcomer but I picked this team because it was small enough to get to know people but had lots of energy and was growing fast! It's a shame there has been some friction recently and also that some of the senior members have had to adjust the amount of their input or have left.

There are those of us who have been trying to suggest new ways to build team spirit such as the Case badges, sub team challenges, etc. I hope these ideas continue and it helps to keep moral high. :)

One thing that caught my eye when I was watching the team in the beginning, before I joined, was seeing how much the senior members participated and helped out all the newbies. That was one of this teams strongest selling points, at least for me. There is still a lot of sharing and helping and that is good.

If there is any way to help get/keep members active on the board we need to do it. Volume on the boards is fun and helps build/keep up the energy of the team. I wish we had more people posting more of the time. :)

I would like to thank all those who have worked on the team web site and who post help in the forum or who run other stats etc. Your efforts are greatly appreciated!

Cy

I agree with Cy about this team being one in which everyone is kind enough to get the newbies started. Also as we try not to flame each other there is less friction here than in other teams.....

Let'a we all try to put the hard feelings that recently has come this way and continue crunching for one of the best team ever. One of the friendliest and warmest to newbies.

The team badges has been an idea I also had. As there seems to be little input about the design, this weekend I would take Cy avatar and try to come with a badge that could easily be printed into stickers. I'll show the results next Sunday.

Re: Re: Please Read - This is for all involved in the Seti Effort

13oots2 said:

I would firstly like to say I volunteered for the morale work, and any information that has been relayed to me by Members has been treated anonomously. No names have been mentioned in any PM's to Speedj, or anything discussed in confidence between myself and Jeremy, relayed to the Team.

If there is anything that you wish to bring up about the Team, this is the time to do it. I know some are unhappy with certain aspects of the Team, if you feel it cannot be posted in this Thread please feel free to PM me your thoughts. Now is a perfect time to air any Team concerns. If you have any thoughts, please add to this Thread, for the benefit of all.

Thanks

Mark
Please keep in mind that I too do not mind PM's at all, it may take a little while for me to get back to you, but generally within the day you will have one waiting for you.

And this is certainly the time to voice your opinion's if there are aspects you are unhappy about. I quite simply wanted to take this opportunity to apologize to all of you for things that have happened.

J

Yes, let's learn from our mistakes and put the past behind us. We have some foes on our horizon that require our full concentration. :)

As an FYI, I'm still doing some work on the stats, but haven't had a ton of time to do the research that I need to do it right. Need to brush up on my statistics and learn a bit about databases to get the code written. Will take some time, but it's still on my medium-term goal list. :)

Also going to be working a bit on the benchmark...hopefully I'll be able to write some code to make it an easy to use utility requiring only minimal user input (system specs, really). :)

I will also offer my ear to any of you that might need somebody to talk to for whatever reason. You can get ahold of me via any of the bar links. If I seem to be ignoring you I'm not, really. I'm just not at my computer and forgot to put up the away message (something that I'm unfortunately rather prone to do)...

yeah, i totally agree w/ Cy! and felt the same way too.

before i join the team on Mar. 2001, i only had 20-some WUs after registered for a full year!!! but after a little over 8 months time w/ the team, i grew from 20-some WUs to 1832 (as for now when i'm writing this post)!!

what keep me crunching?? spending time to monitor it?? keep checking how many did i do everyday after work?? keep building more PC?? try to install SETI on pretty every machine i could get my hand on (now, included my GF's laptop is also crunching SETI)??

it's the spirit of the team! whenever i had a problem, whether it's SETI related or PC, i always come here to ask! or when i saw something, some questions, that i know or experiened, i always post a reply. now, this forum doesn't like others forums that i've visited. in some forum, i post a question, check it back the next day, wow! there's 30s-50s views!! but guess what? zero 0 reply!!! why should i wasting time to ask question in such a forum(s) when there's nobody would talk to u, or teach u!!

in here, i post a question, check back at night, there's at least 3-5 replies, and keep growing. everyone in here is very active!! which is good, and a 'needed" way to keep the team spirit up!!

in here, i DO feel like HOME!! and belong to the team!! not some stranger!!

just FYI, a personal experience i had! a little less than a month ago, one of my machine broke down and i'm afraid i need to reinstall everything all over again, u know, it's a major PITA, at least for me. so, first thing i do is come here and ask. in the other section of the o/c forum. everyone seems to try to help me or try to answer me. and then, there's one member drop in, didn't try to help at all, but just said "if you are afraid to do this, you can't even call yourself a overclocker...." i felt sooo bad all day. and thought, what's wrong w/ that? i feel here as home, when i got a problem, i come here to ask for help, not to letting people juding me! it's like saying "hey, u afraid to blow your engine? how could you call yourself a car ethusiast??" (not a good example, but....something like that) and i DID think of leaving here and the team and head for somewhere else b/c of that. or at least report it to some moderator. but then, i thought again, "hey, he didn't really mean that way, or anything at all, just forget it." now, if this keep happening, do u think u'll stay??

we really need to keep here like home, warm, and welcome and respect every members in here!! and that's the only way we could keep our members and get more and more.

u can look at My Contribution to SETI, and u definitley could feel how proud i am to be the member of the this team. how much i love the friendly competition in our team.

sorry for my long post. i usually don't do that (too lazy). and it's just my 2 cents

Last edited:
[checking clone machine to see if it is working] We need more of you guys, truly without you all there wouldn't be a team. I thank you guys for your tireless effort.

J

SpeeDj said:
[checking clone machine to see if it is working] We need more of you guys, truly without you all there wouldn't be a team. I thank you guys for your tireless effort.

J

I just added a Pentium PRO that I quickly assembled with some parts laying around. It looks like it's good for about 24-26hr/WUs.

This should be a nice little boost for me to help make up for the bad week I had l last week.

I've revised my signature to reflect the addition to my "SETI garden"

I'm still looking to add either an XP or a P4 after the holidays.

Last edited:
My Pledge is to keep up the PR I do for the team. I also plan on keeping up the Tricks & Tips webpage. Oh...I also promise to keep my machines nice and toasty crunchin SETI.

I look forward to all of it guys, thank you all for your dedication. I am going to put a buddies 233 that I donated to him on seti once it's up and going. Should be soon, something is better than nothing.

Once the cash comes in again I am going to go to a swap show we have and pick up some oldies but goodies for spare boxes.

J

i have a PIII500 (was clocking 720Mhz before retire) w/ mobo & memory & a network card sitting down my desk. i'll try to assemble it so it could be added into my "garden". didn't think of it to crunch SETI 'cos don't want it hurt my ave. CPU time. and thought it won't do much anyway... but after i've read the post yesterday 'bout the "oncoming enemy", i guess it's time for it to get up and keep working again ;)

btw, does anyone have any idea what's the time range should i expect from it?? PIII 500 @ 720. could it do 2 WUs a day?? under 12 hrs / WU?? after paying around w/ all my T-bird and XP, even my PIII 1000 & the Athlon4 1000 feel soooooooo slow.....:p

I've got a couple boxes in the works, and thanks to Rogerdugans I have a way to get them online too - thanks Doug :) Looks like I'll be adding a dual XP 1900, P3 600@800, and possibly my old Ppro 200 to the federation.

LandShark said:
i have a PIII500 (was clocking 720Mhz before retire) w/ mobo & memory & a network card sitting down my desk. i'll try to assemble it so it could be added into my "garden". didn't think of it to crunch SETI 'cos don't want it hurt my ave. CPU time. and thought it won't do much anyway... but after i've read the post yesterday 'bout the "oncoming enemy", i guess it's time for it to get up and keep working again ;)

btw, does anyone have any idea what's the time range should i expect from it?? PIII 500 @ 720. could it do 2 WUs a day?? under 12 hrs / WU?? after paying around w/ all my T-bird and XP, even my PIII 1000 & the Athlon4 1000 feel soooooooo slow.....:p

My PIII 667 @ 700 does a WU in under 10 hours always, high ar's in 7.5 lows in 9.5

Back