• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4-pin cpu power connector vs. 8-pin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kalivos

Okay, so, my psu has a 4-pin CPU power connector, but the mobo I want, the P5B Deluxe, has an 8-pin, but has a plastic piece over 4 of them in the picture. I'm curious, if I use a 4-pin, will this cause power loss or any issues?

Alright. But what about with the Bad Axe 2 mobo? I've been told it simply will just power up for about 3-5 seconds and then shut itself off if there is no 8-pin cpu connector.

well in that case intel might have that as a safty feature to make sure the board gets the power it needs. if that is the cause you can buy a 4pin to 8pin adapter.

As long as you're using a good power supply you won't have a problem. I've got a P5B-D running on an old OCZ PowerStream 520 with a 4-pin plug that works just as well as the P5B-D Wifi board I've got running on a Silverstone Zeus with an 8-pin.

Evilsizer said:
well in that case intel might have that as a safty feature to make sure the board gets the power it needs. if that is the cause you can buy a 4pin to 8pin adapter.
A 4-pin to 8-pin adapter won't do anything except maybe double the number of wires from the 4-pin plug to the motherboard. You'll still have only 4 wires coming out of the PSU so if there is too much power draw, those are the ones that would fail. Remember, all of those additional wires are only there for redundancy, to help spread the load, and unless those wires go back to the rail(s) in the PSU there isn't any real gain. As long as you've got a good PSU to begin with, just run the 4-pin straight from the PSU and you'll be fine.

Back