• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oblivion... to SLI? or GTX?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vio1

Hi guys, i just setup my system (see sig) and im trying to run Oblivion at 1900x1200 (I think thats the res... whatever my LCD's native res is)... and at times in the game, especially in large open spaces and when im fighting the game gets a bit choppy. Is it my videocard? If so, i was thinking of either getting another 8800 gts and putting them into SLI or getting 1 GTX card. Which would be better to get no choppiness?

IIRC, SLI doesn't double up on the memory, and I really think you are lacking in that area with only 320mb on a 24". So my vote is a GTX, you'll have much more memory and it does well at the higher resolutions.

from some reviews ive seen the 8800gts sli outperforms the 8800 gtx solo.... thats why im not sure which way to turn

Here this may help you decide.

Compare the top card on each link as you cannot compare single vs sli in their charts..

Here is 8800GTS 320 in SLI OCed
http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_sli2007.html?modelx=33&model1=806&model2=807&chart=358

Here is 8800GTS 320 in SLI no OC
http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_sli2007.html?modelx=33&model1=807&model2=807&chart=358

Here is 8800GTX single
http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=706&model2=722&chart=298

You get ~10 more FPS with two 8800 GTS 320's in SLI than one GTX at the resolution you want to use.
You get ~16 more FPS with two 8800 GTS 320's in SLI OCed than one GTX

However you really pay for that 10FPS in noise and heat..

Sometimes I wonder how they get there scores. I got nearly every option in mine cranked out. HDR max textures (talking about the big Qual Textures III pack). Loads of mods and enhancements.

On my system at 1920x1200 I get actually amazingly good scores outside anywhere from 25-40FPS (average 28-32FPS). Inside 40FPS to 110FPS (average 60-70FPS)

Really at that res, oblivion is a huge memory hog on Vram. If you don't have any texture packs you might be under the 320Meg on your card. Really not sure how much Oblivion is affected by Vram since my 256Meg XL at the time with 4x AA and HDR activated when I played was getting 30FPS weather AA was on or off and I was using upwards of 400Megs of Vram. (some of course unloaded to the System ram).

I'd say tough choice. As how I say it, SLI or Crossfire runs into driver issues with some games. Having a single card you won't run into the same issues. I'm biased since I think single cards is where its at at least until SLI or Crossfire can get some good scaling numbers.

is there anything i can do to play the game at this res with settings high and be able to reduce choppiness? Any downloads, tweaks?

First you should use the Tweakguides.net Oblivion article to see if you can squeeze a few more fps out of your system. Then I'd get a second GTS :p

Vio1 said:
from some reviews ive seen the 8800gts sli outperforms the 8800 gtx solo.... thats why im not sure which way to turn

Yea but thats probably the 640 Edition. 2 320's probably wont outpeform an 8800GTX. I'd go w/ the GT6.

evolved_st8 said:
Yea but thats probably the 640 Edition. 2 320's probably wont outpeform an 8800GTX. I'd go w/ the GT6.
acording to one of those reveiws posted above it looks to me that the 320 sli slightly outperformed the 640 sli

squashfx said:
acording to one of those reveiws posted above it looks to me that the 320 sli slightly outperformed the 640 sli

Guess I need to take a look at that. Ah screw it. WAIT FOR THE RADEON.

squashfx said:

Wow that does make alot of sense. BUT. I wonder what the 640 Overclocked would do? Y didnt they test that out? I dont think this is a complete test. Not quite definitive enough.

squashfx said:
seems by the time r600 comes out nvidia will have the 8900 cards out and they should smoke the r600's

Hopefully ATI is anticipating that. (Doubt it tho.) AMD/ATI have been WAY OFF the pace since they merged. Ridiculous. FIX THE PROBLEMS GUYS. (its y i quit working there)

Vio1 said:
is there anything i can do to play the game at this res with settings high and be able to reduce choppiness? Any downloads, tweaks?

As said the tweaktown guides, as well reducing texture res should help improve FPS. Make sure item view distance is cut down a bit to. As well with grass expecially if you don't have a mod to cut down on its polygon count thats a huge system hitter.

squashfx said:
seems by the time r600 comes out nvidia will have the 8900 cards out and they should smoke the r600's

8900's are a little ways away. So the R600's will be out for a little while.

deathman20 said:
As said the tweaktown guides, as well reducing texture res should help improve FPS. Make sure item view distance is cut down a bit to. As well with grass expecially if you don't have a mod to cut down on its polygon count thats a huge system hitter.

8900's are a little ways away. So the R600's will be out for a little while.

100th POST. WOOHOO. Cheers :beer:
But in all seriousness I think AMD/ATI will have a refresher card to combat the 8900 within 1 quarter of the 8900 release. After being off the pace for so long I DOUBT they will just give in and give up. I think they are preparing for the Big fight that is to come.

I am concerned that ATI may be losing its competitiveness after being purchased. Their X2900XT is on par with the 8800GTS, their X2900XTX, which is delayed until sometime later this year may or may not be on par with the 8800GTX.

They are falling behind, just like AMD is falling behind Intel. Perhaps AMD will be what hurts ATI's ability to compete with Nvidia. It would be sad if they cant as Nvidia will skyrocket their prices. You already see something of that with the 8800 Ultra costing $830.

As for CF who the hell knows how well that will perform. CF has had some serious growing pains.

ATI's only savior at the moment is the poor drivers Nvidia has been putting out for the 8800 especially with Vista. That will be fixed soon though.

Ok guys keep it on topic. Don't get side tracked here with the ATI Video card talk which is still all speculation at this point.

I think im siding on the SLI setup. Can i mix and match with my XFX 8800 GTS 320mb? Can i get another 8800 GTS 320mb of a different company and use them in sli?

Any good deals on 8800 gts 320mb online now? In the US or Canada?

Vio1 said:
I think im siding on the SLI setup. Can i mix and match with my XFX 8800 GTS 320mb? Can i get another 8800 GTS 320mb of a different company and use them in sli?

I'd keep it with the same type of card you have right now.

Vio1 said:

yes you can as long as its the same gpu

Back