• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recover data from formatted drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tiktok

Registered
OK, this is not a real data recovery disaster :) I'm teaching my class about data security and data recovery and I wanted to demonstrate this process for them.

Does anyone know of a good *free* program to do this? Even if it is limited (time or data size) that would be fine. I searched the threads here but many of them are several years old, so I thought there might be something newer available.

if you go to iolo.com, they have a bunch of different security and data programs. I use their Drive Scrubber program and love it.

Maybe you will interested in the "Search and Recover" program?

They have free trials.
BL

For data backup I always use GetDataBack (has NTFS and FAT32 versions), although Stellar Phoenix is decent as well. Neither of these are free but they do have evaluation versions.

Freeware:
PC Inspector for FAT & NTFS comes with flash media recovery apps (no idea if it works with U3[ugh]-based usb drives though). I've used it in the past and it's not bad, although the two programs above are arguably better.

Testdisk is also free to use, but it's a bit complicated.

Restoration can be run off a floppy disk and requires no installation.

OK, I tried out those programs and did manage to recover deleted files with them. However, I couldn't get any to recover data from a formatted flash drive (even a quick formatted one). I don't know if the formatting process on a flash drive is different to a hard drive, but I didn't want to format my HD to find out! :D Unfortunately I have no floppy drives available either.

Has anybody had success at un-formatting a flash disk in the past?

Back