• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WinXP and wireless = problems..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Korndog

For the past couple of months my laptop has given nothing but problems with wireless connections at school and just about everywhere else. Even though theres a good signal, the connection will disconnect every few minutes or go into limited connection mode. I thought it was my wireless card so i bought a 400mW Senao card which is finding more connections, but the problem is still there...

I thought it might be my school's connection, but everyone else using the same connection isn't having any problems at all, so this leaves me with only one possibility. WinXP.

Aside from the disconnections and limited connections, i sometimes get IP conflict. Repairing or releasing/renewing the connection under dos, but it doesn't help. Rebooting does help though, but it'll give me like 10min before the connection disconnects again.

While typing this post, my wifi disconnected twice :-/

Does anyone know the problem with my windows or can anyone possibly help me in finding the problem/solution?

Thanks
KG

I put a wireless card in one of my PCs at my house. I first configured it to allow the included software manage the connection. But it was having a similar problem to what you seem to be experiencing. I then allowed windows to manage the connection and it's been good ever since. Perhaps switching in this manner would also help you?

i've tried both, the software management is actually a little more reliable for me, so thats what i'm using now, its actually the Atheros software that my card uses even though its a Senao.

Its funny, i can be right next to the router, getting 58db signals, and it'll disconnect, lol

off topic, but I'm about 20 feet from my AP, which is in my closet, and my laptop is has the back of my desk and an lcd between it and my closet, and I'm still getting a SNR of 57

Korndog said:
i've tried both, the software management is actually a little more reliable for me, so thats what i'm using now, its actually the Atheros software that my card uses even though its a Senao.

Its funny, i can be right next to the router, getting 58db signals, and it'll disconnect, lol

have you tried setting your router to another channel? For instance, I found that setting my router to channel 3, instead of the default of 6, gave me a much better signal. Perhaps you can play around with the channels and see if it's just interference that is your problem.

um.. the signal isn't the issue i think.. in my last post i was just emphasizing the fact that even with a high SNR of 58db, my connection still disconnects.
The connections at school and other wifi locations have a set channel that i can't change, the one at home is already set to 1 because everyone around me has it set to 6, my dad's laptop, sister's laptop, and my 2nd computer (with a wireless card) never have the problems my laptop has. I've tried 3 different wireless cards, 1 card, 2 internal, and all have the same problem which leads me to believe that windows is the problem

Korndog said:
um.. the signal isn't the issue i think.. in my last post i was just emphasizing the fact that even with a high SNR of 58db, my connection still disconnects.
The connections at school and other wifi locations have a set channel that i can't change, the one at home is already set to 1 because everyone around me has it set to 6, my dad's laptop, sister's laptop, and my 2nd computer (with a wireless card) never have the problems my laptop has. I've tried 3 different wireless cards, 1 card, 2 internal, and all have the same problem which leads me to believe that windows is the problem

I know, I wasn't referring to signal level, but possible interference. Perhaps changing the channel (And thus the frequency) would help with the problem.

that was actually a problem in the past, and it was happening with all the computers in my house, but i changed it and that fixed the problem up until i put windows (use to use linux) on my laptop (need to use windoz apps for school) now my laptop is the only one with the problem..

Back