• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading Laptop CPUs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jnitrofish

Registered
So I have been searching around for new computers, laptops mainly. Researching all about dual cores and why I would want one as compared to a single core.

Now I have built PCs before, and I have taken completely apart the laptop im on now (its in my sig, and it still works! Miracle, eh? :p).

So from the research I have done and knowing what I want to do with my new laptop, it would seen single core processor is still the way to go with me. But I want a single core that has a lot of juice so it can run Vista with ease as well (though I will use XP pro all the time). Now my desktop (also in my sig) has a AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (2.2 ghz - Socket 754), its great along with my graphics card. But laptops tend to have some lets say "crappier" graphics cards. At least not as good as your average desktop one. So in that case your CPU will pick up more work to process the graphics. I have found one (refurbished) gateway that has a good single core processor for my needs In Windows XP, an AMD Athlon 64 4000+ (2.6 ghz - Socket AM2). Now I noticed when shopping for new desktop processors that AMD has a dual core processor on the AM2 socket that is quite nice, the AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (3.0 ghz - Socket AM2).

AMD Athlon™ 64 4000+ 2600Mhz Socket AM2 62W
-upgrade to-
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 6000+ 3000Mhz Socket AM2 125W

Now I know the X2 6000+ uses around double the power than the 64 4000+ does. So that brings up 2 issues, upgrading the power components and getting better cooling to take the heat off that oven it will be.

The next problem I see is getting a new bios that supports that processor and flashing the motherboard with it.

If its impossible tell me now.

If it is possible let me know, and maybe give me some ideas on how to go about this.

Thanks
-J

125W processer in a laptop just sounds like a bad idea to begin with. They make mobile chips for a reason, they produce less heat. As far as the BIOS update issue, most OEMs have BIOS updates on their websites. It's a different (easier) process, it's usually just a single .exe that reboots the laptop and flashes it for you.

http://support.gateway.com/support/default.asp#
Go to the notebooks section, enter the model number and see if there's a BIOS that will support the chip.

perhaps easier to get a desktop and bolt on a LCD screen? :p

I expected to have to do some sirious case modding and creative cooling ideas for the laptop.

On dealing with that heat (that I will put more thought into if the idea of doing this actually works with the PSU, Sockets, etc.) is building and attaching a water cooling system to the laptop.

(I would like to point out at this moment that mainly, laptops have to be fast for me, not light weight and slim lol. Its not a high priority.)

-----

Nothing to do with the topic at hand but so far as my crazy ideas go, I also noted a few months back when I was upgrading my car stereo that computer PSUs give 12v DC. Sucks that the din next to my CD-RW/DVD drive is just a bit to small and I dont want to chop up this case. Or else I would have made a PC/Stereo combo monster of some kind. :p

Last edited:
Back