• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This doesn't seem right, is it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sneveTsS

Registered
My 6600 is running a 3.4ghz @ 1.4v and my RAM is running at a 1:1 (375mhz) @ 1.85v. I'm running ORTHOS and my cpu temps are reaching 60dC according to coretemp. It seems like my voltage on my CPU is high for only being at 3.4ghz, but whenever I lower it, it seems to either hang or not POST. How many volts should be going into my CPU at that speed?

Cooling:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835186134
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler

RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231065
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Thanks for the help in advance, this is my first true overclock and I'm having a blast :D

My E6600 takes 1.65V to go to 3.4ghz. Its just luck of the draw, some processors will need more volts than others, and some won't clock as high as others.

yeah its just about luck, but evenso the arctic freezer pro is not much of a cooler, it is very small, go with a scythe infinity or a scythe ninja, i am getting 55c load on my stock intel cooler @ 3.2ghz

So you're actually saying 1.4v is fairly good then? That's good to hear. I may invest in a new hsf since I have to refund the power supply anyway (DOA), so I'll look around.

Different question:

How high should I be able to push the RAM clocks? Is 1:1 pretty maxed, or should I be able to push it higher? I'd like to eventually hit 3.6ghz and bring my RAM to 400mhz (I'm at 375 right now). Does the CPU speed directly affect the RAM clock if I have them unlinked? I can't seem to get the RAM to 400mhz and still pass ORTHOS.

What motherboard do you have?

That memory should be D9GMH which means its capable of much more than 400mhz. ;) You should be fine up to about 500. In this case, you could run 2:3 or just drop the multi on the processor down to 8x or even 7x.

Motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813188012
EVGA 122-CK-NF68-T1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

The multiplier is locked, and there's an option for 3:2, but not visa-versa. Yea, the RAM is d9 and I was definitely expecting to get higher than 375mhz, but I'm kind of stuck. According to the RAM specs it can handle 2/2.1v and I'm at 1.85v @ 375mhz, so I have some head room, but never passes ORTHOS.

I have the EVGA 680i A1 board with E6600 processor. I am in the process of burning in my CPU, but if I remember correctly, I did a fast check to see how far my processor will overclock with minimum adjustments in bios and found it required 1.450 volts to be orthos stable at 3.384. Load temps were riding around 60 C. This was a quick and dirty check. Here is a website for you to go to for the 680i boards. You will find good information and overclocking tips here

Sniper.nkc said:
I have the EVGA 680i A1 board with E6600 processor. I am in the process of burning in my CPU, but if I remember correctly, I did a fast check to see how far my processor will overclock with minimum adjustments in bios and found it required 1.450 volts to be orthos stable at 3.384. Load temps were riding around 60 C. This was a quick and dirty check. Here is a website for you to go to for the 680i boards. You will find good information and overclocking tips here

Burning in a CPU is no longer required, that was mostly for P3 only.

sneveTsS said:
My 6600 is running a 3.4ghz @ 1.4v and my RAM is running at a 1:1 (375mhz) @ 1.85v. I'm running ORTHOS and my cpu temps are reaching 60dC according to coretemp. It seems like my voltage on my CPU is high for only being at 3.4ghz, but whenever I lower it, it seems to either hang or not POST. How many volts should be going into my CPU at that speed?
You're voltage looks good to me. Like Sniper.nkc, I have to go to 1.45v to be stable at 3.4GHz. So you're styling! I would definitely bring the RAM up to spec. Like you mentioned, the spec is 2.0v~2.1v.

You mentioned the multiplier is locked. You can't drop the multiplier on an EVGA 680i A1 board? I didn't know that... It must make it hard to take advantage of good RAM with an e6600.

Well, I guess the question now is, do I have to have the DIMM/FSB linked? I can unlink the two and clock each separately and not have to mess with the multiplier, right?

Now, if my RAM is rated at 2.0v, should I just bump it up to 2.0v and make the clock 400mhz to see if I can get 800mhz stable?

Just choose unlinked and you will have all kinds of options. I can run my fsb at 500mhz and my memory at 200mhz if I wanted, and I don't even have a 680i board just the cheapo 650i.

Atomic Dawg said:
You're voltage looks good to me. Like Sniper.nkc, I have to go to 1.45v to be stable at 3.4GHz. So you're styling! I would definitely bring the RAM up to spec. Like you mentioned, the spec is 2.0v~2.1v.

You mentioned the multiplier is locked. You can't drop the multiplier on an EVGA 680i A1 board? I didn't know that... It must make it hard to take advantage of good RAM with an e6600.

It's actually a T1, so that might be why as well... it could also be I don't have the most updated BIOS, but I don't think that would really change.

Thanks for the help though, I will definitely mess around some more when I get home and post pics of my new build and see what I can max out at.

Back