• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

12v amperage acting funky

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Liam_Drien

Registered
Greetings everyone. I was just curious if anyone has ever had this problem. A while back I noticed that part of my fans wouldn't come on all the time and actually function properly so I tested the psu with a tester and low and behold it said there was a fault in the power supply. Now that being said I unplugged my extra dvd drives and it seems to work just fine. I'm a pretty avid gamer playing anything from WoW to Command and Conquer 3 I hooked up a multimeter (digital of course) to the 12v rail while playing both of these games and noticed something odd....part of the time mainly if my room is a bit warmer than normal my 12v rail will jump up to 17 or 18v...now I do have a new power supply incoming from Newegg it should be here Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest but I was just curious if this could mess up my other hardware? It's only been doing it for the past week that I've noticed. Thanks for any replies and help.

Liam

I didnt think it could even go up that high.. I have never seen mine go above 12.25. Perhaps the DMM is reporting it wrong?

In anycase I wouldnt use that PSU anymore after you replace it.

Well I thought it could be testing wrong also so I tried a second and third multimeter all three said the same thing about the voltage.
This is my system in a nutshell
1 Antec smart power 400w psu
1 amd 64 bit 3000 barton core
1 Chaintech Snf4-2 motherboard
2 512 mb ddr 400 corsair memory sticks
1 Evga Geforce 6800 pro 256 mb video card
I have 1 120 mm fan generic in the front 1 120 mm fan in the back and an 90mm in the side. Also 1 nec 16 dl dvd burner that's not currently hooked up.
Thank you for the welcome.

Forgot to mention this is the second Antec that I've had from this group that has failed on me. Needless to say I'm not going back to them I picked up a corsair 520w I believe it is instead that is coming this week. This psu was still under warranty but you have to have the receipt and it's been long enough and I've moved that the receipt went awol and my local circuit city doesn't have it on record so...at any rate it's going in the trash as soon as the new one arrives.

Super Nade said:
Hi and Welcome to the forums. :) :welcome:

Could you list your system specs?

S/N,

I was ready to take bets it was an Antec PS.........

We should have a sticky on this subject. :(

Last edited:
Liam_Drien said:
Well I thought it could be testing wrong also so I tried a second and third multimeter all three said the same thing about the voltage.
This is my system in a nutshell
1 Antec smart power 400w psu
1 amd 64 bit 3000 barton core
1 Chaintech Snf4-2 motherboard
2 512 mb ddr 400 corsair memory sticks
1 Evga Geforce 6800 pro 256 mb video card
I have 1 120 mm fan generic in the front 1 120 mm fan in the back and an 90mm in the side. Also 1 nec 16 dl dvd burner that's not currently hooked up.
Thank you for the welcome.

Forgot to mention this is the second Antec that I've had from this group that has failed on me. Needless to say I'm not going back to them I picked up a corsair 520w I believe it is instead that is coming this week. This psu was still under warranty but you have to have the receipt and it's been long enough and I've moved that the receipt went awol and my local circuit city doesn't have it on record so...at any rate it's going in the trash as soon as the new one arrives.

Liam,

Join the "Failed Antec" club. Look at the capacitors on it. Are they bulged or leaking? (Taking bets!)

Good choice on your replacement. You won't be disappointed.

RollingThunder said:
Liam,

Join the "Failed Antec" club. Look at the capacitors on it. Are they bulged or leaking? (Taking bets!)

Good choice on your replacement. You won't be disappointed.

Yes you would be correct there are a couple that are bulged. Thankfully I won't have to wait long for a replacement. Newegg is saying I should have the psu Monday afternoon at the latest. I love them heh. On an off not has anyone had this issue with the NeoHE series? My dad purchased one of these just under a year ago and has had no problems with it whatsoever. I'm curious if perhaps it's just this smartpower line as others I've known have had the other lines and not had any problems...

Liam_Drien said:
Yes you would be correct there are a couple that are bulged. Thankfully I won't have to wait long for a replacement. Newegg is saying I should have the psu Monday afternoon at the latest. I love them heh. On an off not has anyone had this issue with the NeoHE series? My dad purchased one of these just under a year ago and has had no problems with it whatsoever. I'm curious if perhaps it's just this smartpower line as others I've known have had the other lines and not had any problems...

Liam,

The newer Antec HE series are much better, not as good as your Corsair but it appears the capacitor problem has been improved very much. Antec sent me a new HE500 as a replacement for my second Tru Power 480 failure. Your Dad should be fine.

As it was explained to us here, those purple capacitors are the problem. I can't spell their name correctly.............

This thread will show you:

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=4880552&postcount=1

Thank you

Ah many thanks. You rock heh I was worried for a minute or five that we would be looking at replacing his also heh but at the same time he got the extended warranty on his also through Newegg so no worries. Those are the caps that are bulged on mine. Thanks again for all of the help. I will be posting elsewhere heh.

Liam, please post pictures of the innards if your warranty has expired. I need info for a sticky on the subjected as suggested by RT. ;)

Alright I can do that once my new power supply gets in. That way I'm not yanking the power supply out twice heh. That will be Monday hopefully if my ups is correct and delivers it like they should.

Back