• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DEDICATED SERVER!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
eaglescouter said:
Are you asking hardware requirement for a dedicated server? (for what games?)

Or are you asking for hardware requirements for a gaming rig? (what games?)
Ya, because dedicated servers usually dont run the game, so you can save money on a graphics card, sound card and large monitor. Its more important to have a high end cpu (important for games as well, but they are slightly more gfx card dependent), gigabit ethernet and a decent amount of ram (all of the dedicated servers Ive seen had atleast 2 gigs)

For racing and fps games like gtr2 or most wanted,And then games like cod2 and Quake Wars(This is opengl right).So basically and ok d3d-ogl server.

Last edited:
Im just a little confused, are you looking for a rig that can play those games, or looking for a server that can both play AND host them? (basically with a dedicated server, you dont PLAY the game. It basically is like a really fast connection between a few clients that ARE playing the game.)

What?

deltaxx33 said:
What would a simple dedicated gaming rig need.:confused:
A dedicated rig for my games.Hosting is what dedicated server supposed to mean right?It's really not a hard question.I will probably play with rig in sig.So now I need a dedicated rig.If its confusing just don't post.

Last edited:
Does sys req. really matter on a dedicated rig/server if it is all about speed like freakdiablo say's min req. with a super fast connection should do it huh?Anybody

deltaxx33 said:
A dedicated rig for my games.Hosting is what dedicated gaming supposed to mean right?
Umm, not really. Hosting is what servers do (like web servers "host" a webpage, you dont use them for going online). A computer for games is reffered to as a "gaming rig" or "gaming computer" depending on who you ask.

Back