• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6800 problem, very strange

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Project86

I've been having some strange issues with my new build, some delays in windows when launching certain apps. I just saw this issue, so decided to post it here. Don't know if it is related to the other issue or not. I plan on addressing the other issue with a new install of a different version of XP.

Anyways, the video problem: I installed 3dmark 2k3 because I happened to have it on a CD, and didn't want to wait to download a newer version. When running, I saw some strange things:

During the "wings of fury" portion, I see the airplanes, but not the smoke or explosions. It just looks like they are crashing into each other underwater or something. Then during the space battle part, there are no laser blasts. The gun points at an enemy, and he flies back, but no shot was seen.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense... I'm sure most of you are familiar with 3d mark and know what I'm saying though.

What could be causing this? There doesn't seem to be any other artifacting. My score at the end was ~6900 which is low.

Possibly Gart/Chipset driver issue. Recall similiar problems popping up back in the day of the 68 series cards, Especially with 3d03, A tried and true stable bios for the motherboard should be tried as well.

I reinstalled windows (different version) and it works great now. Looks fine and I scored 11,200 with just the unlock and mild OC, stock CPU speed. That's more like it!

Are you OC'ing the GPU? If you are, it probably is unstable.

My GeForce 4 Ti GPU has missing objects and pauses (freezes, then it unfreezes) in
3D Mark 2001 SE when in the Car Chase test if OC'ed too much.

Strange, if you ask me, because I'm used to seeing corrupted or missing polys or a bunch of little squares popping up when the GPU is OC'ed too much, like my Radeon 9000 Pro that I used to have.

Back