• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! DVD drive stopped working

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

spirit

Registered
My DVD drive just stopped working one day and I have no idea what's going on. I haven't changed any settings or anything, but it's just not reading anything. The weird thing is that it's only like that when I'm in Windows. I have two partitions of Windows on my computer and it stopped working on both of them, but I decided to re-format on of the partitions and forgot the the drive wasn't working so I put the Windows CD in it. It booted up and installed Windows perfectly, but once it was installed and rebooted into Windows, the drive stopped working again.

So basically, it was able to read the CD to boot and install Windows. But once I'm in Windows, it doesn't read anything, CD or DVD.

Can anyone offer any help?

Does Windows see the drive? If so, you may try updating the firmware on the DVD drive itself.

Yes, Windows does see the drive. How do I find out where to get the firmware though. I just got the drive off of a friends old computer so there's no info for it.

Back