• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

lm-sensors installation help!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LandShark

Super Shark Moderator
this thread was brought up by Silver and me and we still haven't find any way to get the lm-sensors to work........ :bang head

and I know many of us here are running native LinuxSMP too, so I'm sure more than just two of us are interested.

hopefully some of you Linux guru could chimp in and help.....
help.gif

Now we know the DS3 runs the it87 according to 'sensors-detect' and the P5B uses the w83627dhg. This does seem to make a difference. Does anyone have lm-sensors running on either the DS3 or P5B motherboards? If so what version of linux? Remember we are newbies so preferably one of the Ubuntu/Kubuntu flavors but at this point I would consider any flavor that would work.

Like I said in another post you have to make sure the hardware sensors on your mobo are recognized by the version of lm_senors you have. I have as far as http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Download the most recent version. I still can't get lm_sensors to recognize the sensors on either one of my TForce P965 mobos (both have E6600 cpus and Ubuntu 64 6.10 Edgy Eft) I have installed it on a MSI K8N Neo4, ECS P965T-A (V1.0) , a Asrock 775DUAL-VSTA and a few other single core cpu boards with no problems. (I'm temp anal, so every mobo I've ever run Linux on I've tried to put lm_sensors on) I have tried every combination know to mankind of lm_sensors to no avail, please could someone help? Oh yeah I use the "browse folders as root in Nautilus" trick because it's simple and it reminds me of the windose "point and click". I read on another post how someone had got lm_sensors to work on a TForce P965 board, please help. I can't get it to work on either of my P5B Deluxes or my AW9D-MAX boards. HELP!!!

ok i jsut set up lm-sensors and used gkrellm to display the temps and stuff here is what it look like

Rpkole said:
ok i jsut set up lm-sensors and used gkrellm to display the temps and stuff here is what it look like

now HOW do you do that??? :confused:

read the original thread to see my error msg + how to install gkrellm???

well gkrellm is easy in ubuntu
i will post on how i did it a little later

Rpkole said:
well gkrellm is easy in ubuntu
i will post on how i did it a little later
and please keep in mind your howto guide is for very n00b (like me :D )!!

many many tks!!! :beer:

p.s.I've got up to this and couldn't go any further..... (also didn't have and don't know how any front end installed too....)
Code:
Driver `it87' (should be inserted):
  Detects correctly:
  * ISA bus address 0x0290 (Busdriver `i2c-isa')
    Chip `ITE IT8712F' (confidence: 8)

I will now generate the commands needed to load the I2C modules.

To make the sensors modules behave correctly, add these lines to
/etc/modules:

#----cut here----
# I2C adapter drivers
i2c-isa
# I2C chip drivers
it87
#----cut here----

Do you want to add these lines to /etc/modules automatically? (yes/NO)yes
landshark@Linux-Box3:~$ sudo modprobe i2c-sensor
FATAL: Module i2c_sensor not found.
landshark@Linux-Box3:~$ sudo modprobe i2c-viapro
landshark@Linux-Box3:~$ sudo modprobe i2c-isa
landshark@Linux-Box3:~$ sudo modprobe it87
landshark@Linux-Box3:~$ sudo depmod -a
landshark@Linux-Box3:~$ sudo update-modules
landshark@Linux-Box3:~$ sensors -s
Can't access procfs/sysfs file
Unable to find i2c bus information;
For 2.6 kernels, make sure you have mounted sysfs and libsensors
was compiled with sysfs support!
For older kernels, make sure you have done 'modprobe i2c-proc'!
landshark@Linux-Box3:~$ sudo sensors -s

ok here goes this is for ubuntu 6.06 it may differ in later verisons

1. click system - administration - software properties and you should see somthing like this

check all the boxes cause i am not sure where it comes from :p then it will update

2. click applications - add/remove and you should see this
check the box show unsupported applactions

3. do a search for "monitor" in the add remove programs and find Gkrellm in the list and check it

4. hit the apply button and let it do its thing
then to start Gkrellm just go to application - systemtools - gkrellm

Last edited:
Rpkole said:
ok here goes this is for ubuntu 6.06 it may differ in later verisons

1. click system - administration - software properties and you should see somthing like this

check all the boxes cause i am not sure where it comes from :p then it will update

2. click applications - add/remove and you should see this
check the box show unsupported applactions

3. do a search for "monitor" in the add remove programs and find Gkrellm in the list and check it

4. hit the apply button and let it do its thing
then to start Gkrellm just go to application - systemtools - gkrellm
ok, got the gkrellm installed. however, I still got no temp....??? :confused:

use your mouse to right click on one of the little boxes that are monitoring something in the gkrellm window and another little widow should pop up. on the left of the window should be a list with built-ins as a choice.click on it and another list should drop down it the same list below it if I remember correctly sensors should be the first thing in the list on the left click on this and this should give you some options to the right (temp,fans,???)cant remember the third click on these to set and adjust they should also have tabs in each little section you open.i'll try to get to on of my Ubuntu machines to give some pics.

Hack30 said:
use your mouse to right click on one of the little boxes that are monitoring something in the gkrellm window and another little widow should pop up. on the left of the window should be a list with built-ins as a choice.click on it and another list should drop down it the same list below it if I remember correctly sensors should be the first thing in the list on the left click on this and this should give you some options to the right (temp,fans,???)cant remember the third click on these to set and adjust they should also have tabs in each little section you open.i'll try to get to on of my Ubuntu machines to give some pics.
yes, but the problem there's nothing inside sensors, everything is gray out...... guess it's back to the above attached error, the kernel thingy......

Ok try this

$sudo apt-get install lm-sensors

allkinds of crap will come up
after its done

input
$sensorsdetect

you may have to "sudo" that command

answer yes to all of the questions it will detect all your sensors
then gkrellm should work

that is if your using ubuntu

I've got the lm-sensors installed and detect, but here's the problem that I'm having when I try to run sensors or gkrellm....

Code:

LandShark said:
I've got the lm-sensors installed and detect, but here's the problem that I'm having when I try to run sensors or gkrellm....

Code:

Same exact results on my DS3's.

Back