• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ORTHOS - what does is it do/mean?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sneveTsS

Registered
What exactly is ORTHOS doing? If I fail, what is that telling me? Are my temps too high? Some of the results it gives me are thoroughly confusing. I can get 10 minutes on RAM-fft/CPU-fft and then last 2 seconds on blend...

Would you mind elaborating a bit?

1) Temps
2) What's your goal
3) Processor / Cooling
4) What results?
5) What RAM?

Right now --

-e6600 @ 3.5ghz @ 9x / idle - 32dC / load - 55dC
-I simply want to be stable longer, my computer is perfectly stable and I can run it 24/7, but in Orthos I'll fail after ~10 minutes on blend
- e6600/Arctic Freezer Cooler 7 (something like that)
- g.skill hz 2x1gb @ 397mhz 4-4-4-12

Loosen your timings? and try to make sure that your ratio is 1:1 if it's exactly 3.5 at 9x it's not matching up to your RAM.

It isn't exactly 3.5, it's 3.437 or something crazy. I wasn't really wanting to know how to not fail in ORTHOS, I was just wondering what it is actually looking at/testing

I know what the problem is and I know how to fix it... that isn't what I'm asking.

I'm asking what ORTHOS tests/looks at when it runs? I can run 32m superPI and pass, I can run 3dmark06 and score 11k, everything fine. I run ORTHOS blend mode and fail in less than a minute...

Orthos is a stress test of the CPU and RAM it is like Prime95 but even more intense of a test. So if it fails it likely means you have an unstable OC.

Ok... because right now I'm running "unstable" according to ORTHOS, but I'm folding and playing games at the same time and have no stability problems.

GAHHH orthos confuses me, lol.

Google is our friend :beer:

Basically Orthos is Prime95 in a better interface.

To read more about this Click Here

Theres a few links that will lead to other sites giving a little more background info.

Hope these are the answers your looking for.

Just because you can fold/play games without crashing doesn't mean you are 100% stable.

ORTHOS is not a 100% garauntee you are stable either but it is the best way thus far to test for stability. Usually I get a MINIMUM of eight hours in for stability. Twelve hours to be sure. Twenty four if you really want to have a sure shot.

sneveTsS said:
Ok... because right now I'm running "unstable" according to ORTHOS, but I'm folding and playing games at the same time and have no stability problems.

GAHHH orthos confuses me, lol.

BTW, thanks for folding but don't fold on an unstable OC. Errors can occur. Good luck with your OC!!

Does ORTHOS look for prime numbers as well?

I use prime 95 is this just as good as ORTHOS... considering someone says its just prime with a new look.

Mycobacteria said:
Does ORTHOS look for prime numbers as well?

I use prime 95 is this just as good as ORTHOS... considering someone says its just prime with a new look.
Well Orthos was specifically made for multi core CPUs. Running one instance of Prime95 will only stress one core, not ideal when testing a dual core CPU. If you want to test a dual core with Prime95, you would have to run two instances of it. I would not bother though and just download Orthos, quick, better looking, and easy.

Basically orthos, like prime95 has 2 modes of importance, First is the small fft's test, this test bypasses system ram and solely stresses your cpu, if your failing this test you know your cpu o/c is not stable, try adding more voltage or bumping your cpu o/c down a step or two till you can pass at least a 4 hour barrage.

Second is the mixed or large fft test, this loads your ram more heavily than the cpu and is indicative of your ram o/c, if you pass the small fft test and you fail the blend test you know your memory o/c is either too high, too agressive timings for your fsb, lack of voltage etc, and step your memory o/c down. If you can pass a small fft test for 4 hours and a blend test seperately for 4 hours, you can safely set it to blend and go for the rock solid tests of 12/24 hours.

Incidently that is a great way to test faulty stock systems aswell, I have diagnosed countless memory/cpu problems for people by seperating the tests and seeing wich one is failing, nine times outta ten if they fail the small fft test thier cpu is either overheating or on it's last legs, and if they are failing the blend test it has been faulty ram on a stock system. Hope this clears things up for you.

Oh im kinda old skool I run two prime 95 at the same time to stress the two cores. And I use memtest 86+ from a floppy disc to test my memory.

I see a lot of people putting up screne shots of their ORTHOS test with numbers like "I completed a task in 11 sec. or 11 min etc"

Does the ORTHOS bench a PC aswell?
Oh the other thing that is kina important is ORTHOS free like prime 95 and memtest 86+? ie you dont pay money to use it??

not sure about orthos benching pc's I never used it to do so. Orthos and prime95 use the same mersenne primes calculations, the only diffrence is that orthos is more user friendly and upon detecting 2 cores will stress both at the same time thus not needing you to run 2 instances like you would have to do with prime95, not to mention if you have a pc speaker hooked up orthos will beep at you if you fail a test whereas prime95 never did for me. And yes orthos is a freeware program.

Back