• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which OS should I put on my new machine?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gg_Malkavian

Registered
My gaming build arrives tomorrow. It has a 8800GTX and more importantly 4 GB of ballistix DDR2 8500.

I really want to take advantage of the whole 4 GB of ram... so I suppose that a x64 os is the way to go... at first I REALLY wanted Vista x64 but I've heard I can expect some very significative FPS drops in my games...

So should I go with XP x64 then? Or should I go with a x86 os and get less headaches and maybe even better overall performance in my games?

So what would you put on that system? Vista x86, vista x64, XP x86 or XP x64?

If you havent payed for anything yet I would probably get a copy of vista. Lots of people will probably disagree, but I figure the situation has no where to go but up as far as vista is concerned. If you already have a copy of xp you can install then I would go with that. Even with a 32 bit version you will still get 3+ gigs of ram. I should have asked if you are going to do anything besides game with your new rig. The answer might change my opinion.

I would put on vista 64. I've been running 64 bit business for a couple of weeks and the games have run fine. IIRC the fps drop was around 5% or less, which would never be noticeable. Especially if you haven't paid for either yet, I would go for vista.

I have all the windows so that really ain't a problem.

MS Office, IE and gaming is what my computer will be used for.

BTW : Have you tried the new nVidia drivers? How are they?

I haven't updated the nvidia driver since I installed vista about 3 weeks ago, but they seem decent. I haven't had any problems, but I know other people have. Fortunately it seems like nvidia will keep putting out new drivers frequently.

I'd install Ubuntu 64bit, and then utilize Cedega to do most of my gaming... If you absolutely must have windows, then vista 64 bit is where you'll have to go. XP 64 bit is not even close to being supported by anyone and will probably never truly have drivers written for it.

As you want the advantage of the whole 4 GB of ram, go vista 64,

I used XP64 for just over a year and for the most part was happy with it, but I find vista 64 alot better.

The new vid drivers all so seem fine (about time too)

With your hardware and specs. Looks to the newer OS. As it ages, they will smooth it out. So far it is going alright. After the first major update. It shoud be ok. once the aftermarket catches up, it is will nice.

XP64, was just a shut the critics up about not having a mainstream 64bit platform. I am going to speculate that Vista 64bit will become popular with the gamers. Since it will allow many more goodies to be added hardware wise and 64bit (software) registers. Which will make for some fun, sweet gaming.

Now if the dev houses' see the advantages of compiling in 64bit. Then the action is on. Farcry has a 64bit version out. So there is at least one bone in the yard. I would expect the same house to put out Crysis in 64bit also...

There is so many advantages in the long run not to pick Vista 64. Even if now it is still a little rough.

Back