• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E6 Stepping?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c0dec

Ive asked someone selling a CPU on ebay what stepping the Opteron was he is selling and hes come back saying E6? Does that mean anything to anyone?

E6 is NOT the stepping code. It is the revision code. There was the E3 (old) and the E6 (new). The E6 has more copper interconnect layers, making it a more efficient and more overclockable cpu. The Stepping would be something like whats in my signature - 0610 DPMW. The stepping refers to what batch the CPU came from, and what week/year it was made.... Sounds to me this guy doesn't know what a stepping is... I'd be cautious...

SuperDave1685 said:
E6 is NOT the stepping code. It is the revision code. There was the E3 (old) and the E6 (new). The E6 has more copper interconnect layers, making it a more efficient and more overclockable cpu. The Stepping would be something like whats in my signature - 0610 DPMW. The stepping refers to what batch the CPU came from, and what week/year it was made.... Sounds to me this guy doesn't know what a stepping is... I'd be cautious...
I'm sorry, AMD must have gotten the meaning of stepping wrong
http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/details.aspx?opn=ADA4800DAA6CD

What you are calling a stepping is just the Die code (We loosly call it a stepping but it's not what industry calls it). I'm not going to spank you too hard on this, we like to keep it friendly here but please check the real facts before saying who knows what. ;)

c0dec and Serlant are correct/ said it a little better than I.

*footnote, I've been building computers since the 1970s when you had to solder one together. Modding back then meant soldering in a nand gate IC (Made by AMD) to add CAPS lock to the not so standard keyboard. Headsinks were for onboard regulators and 16K of RAM was to brag about! Microsoft was a type of foam used in seat cushions, er, well is someone had said Microsoft that might be what we thought.

edit; replaced the word wrong with "not the industry call it" in my first line.

Last edited:
lol Alabama... thats great...

Thanks for the clarification Alabama. I apologize to Serlant and Codec. I was going off "our" definition of a stepping code, which is usually what a person wants to know when they're shopping for a perspective cpu. Sorry about that guys..

-Dave

Last edited:
Back