• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Paypal fraud, Advise please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ScottinIndy

Ok Our paypal account got accessed, Honestly not sure how, I don't respond to Emails and give out any account info, Not sure if our computer got hacked, Anyway. I look online at my bank account Last night, 2 pending transactions, One for $160 another for $395. So I call the bank, They said it was Paypal transactioins, Call Paypal, They say it is Xoom.com, Which is basically another version of western union. They put a hold on both transactions, I call back the bank and tell them to stop payment, They say the can't stop payment, That we need to resolve it with Paypal.
So today, Whoever scammed the account picked up the $160 in the Phillipines, Paypal stopped the $395 and is crediting it back to our account. They say we have to wait for 7 days for the "Seller" to respond to our claim of unauthorized use of our account, Then there claims dept will make a ruling on the $160.
My thoughts, They caught the $395 in time, So we get it back, They paid out the $160 and we are going to eat it, Anything I can do to tip the odds in my favor? We called the police, They came out and made a report, We gave them the name of the guy who's name is on the transaction and who I assume picked the money up in the Phillipines, Police said it is likely just a bogus name.
Also, Whenever I have made Paypal transactions in the past, I got confirmation e-mails from Paypal in regard to the transactions, I received no confirmation on either of these transactions, The only E-mails I have gotten from Paypal are ones since I have filed a claim and they are information about my claims and the possible resolutions.
Also, I haven't actually used my Paypal account in several month's. Honestly really puzzled on this one.
Thanks for any input and I do apologize if this is indeed in the wrong area, If a mod needs to move it please do so and again, Sorry, Just not sure where the appropriate place to put this is.

Thanks

I would check your PC for a trojan or similar virus. I would then go to Paypal and make sure all the account information is correct, your bank, your address, your email etc....

ScottinIndy said:
Ok Our paypal account got accessed, Honestly not sure how, I don't respond to Emails and give out any account info, Not sure if our computer got hacked, Anyway. I look online at my bank account Last night, 2 pending transactions, One for $160 another for $395. So I call the bank, They said it was Paypal transactioins, Call Paypal, They say it is Xoom.com, Which is basically another version of western union. They put a hold on both transactions, I call back the bank and tell them to stop payment, They say the can't stop payment, That we need to resolve it with Paypal.
So today, Whoever scammed the account picked up the $160 in the Phillipines, Paypal stopped the $395 and is crediting it back to our account. They say we have to wait for 7 days for the "Seller" to respond to our claim of unauthorized use of our account, Then there claims dept will make a ruling on the $160.
My thoughts, They caught the $395 in time, So we get it back, They paid out the $160 and we are going to eat it, Anything I can do to tip the odds in my favor? We called the police, They came out and made a report, We gave them the name of the guy who's name is on the transaction and who I assume picked the money up in the Phillipines, Police said it is likely just a bogus name.
Also, Whenever I have made Paypal transactions in the past, I got confirmation e-mails from Paypal in regard to the transactions, I received no confirmation on either of these transactions, The only E-mails I have gotten from Paypal are ones since I have filed a claim and they are information about my claims and the possible resolutions.
Also, I haven't actually used my Paypal account in several month's. Honestly really puzzled on this one.
Thanks for any input and I do apologize if this is indeed in the wrong area, If a mod needs to move it please do so and again, Sorry, Just not sure where the appropriate place to put this is.

Thanks

My sister had a similar situation. She responded to one of those scumbag fake emails. It may take a while but Paypal will come through on both transactions. Keep calling them.

Back