• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Serious Dungeons (PSP) ROCKS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
http://www.psp-haxors.com/serious-dungeons-v05/1023

Serious Dungeons is sort of a homebrew remake of Serious Sam. It's for the PSP and works on either native 1.0/1.5 PSPs or Custom Firmware equipped PSPs.

It's completely renewed my faith in the homebrew market (along with TechnoballZ) simply by... well... working.

It's a fully functional first-person shooter... something I didn't think was possible on the PSP... but it functions much the same way as a mouse and keyboard setup functions with the analog stick being the mouse, the right and left triggers being the two mouse buttons and the action buttons being the W, A, S, and D keys.

I thought it would never work while reading the online control manual. But as soon as I started playing I was stunned by how intuitive it was.

I never played any of the original Serious Sam games... so I can't really comment on how good a remake this is. But I can say it brought back old memories of games like Quake 2 and Wolfenstein.

I believe that, if everybody responsible for this game and all the other "best-of-the-best" homebrew products got together to work on a single game, they could actually come close to rivaling some of the commercial products for the system.

And I really hope that's what the future leads to: Independant developers creating independant games that become successful and famous in their own right... Kind of the same way that internet journalism, independant film, and other genres have succeeded in changing the mainstream.

I think the time has come to challenge the EA philosophy and bring the gaming industry down to its most important foundation: The Human Level.

speaking of homebrew, do you know what's out there for the DS and generally what i need to get started?

p.s. that is a sweet quote in your sig :beer:

hUMANbEATbOX said:
speaking of homebrew, do you know what's out there for the DS and generally what i need to get started?

p.s. that is a sweet quote in your sig :beer:

I actually live near the Voltaire metro station in Paris and I saw this quote one day while reading a plaque on the train platform. I think Voltaire was one of the biggest a******s of all time... but he was also a dazzlingly gifted and witty writer... much like a French Mark Twain a hundred years ahead of his time.

But I digress...

There are a number of DS homebrew sites out there. I believe the same people that run psp-hacks have a site for the DS.

I'm not particularly interested in hacking the DS, though, as even the PSP barely has enough memory to do all the things I would want out of a device like that. I'm still impressed that it can run PS1 games better than they ever ran on the ps1. And I hope it eventually rises to the occasion in terms of high-end emulation.

rainless said:
I'm not particularly interested in hacking the DS, though, as even the PSP barely has enough memory to do all the things I would want out of a device like that. I'm still impressed that it can run PS1 games better than they ever ran on the ps1. And I hope it eventually rises to the occasion in terms of high-end emulation.

see, i think sony could hit the psp outta the park if they embraced the psp in this fashion. provide ppl tools to do whatever they want with the system, and i would probably buy 2, even if they were $250 Canadian apiece.

hUMANbEATbOX said:
see, i think sony could hit the psp outta the park if they embraced the psp in this fashion. provide ppl tools to do whatever they want with the system, and i would probably buy 2, even if they were $250 Canadian apiece.

That's what led to the Linksys WRT54G becoming the best-selling wireless product of all time.

People like the freedom to do whatever they want with the product they paid for. And it just so happens the PSP can do some incredible things. They're sort of attempting that with the PS3, and I really hope it works out for them. Being able to run Linux and use the machine to fold is an important step in the right direction...

DS makes a fairly affordable pocket organizer with the homebrew you can run on it, haven't seen anything absurdly impressive from a gaming perspective though :(

Elif Tymes said:
DS makes a fairly affordable pocket organizer with the homebrew you can run on it, haven't seen anything absurdly impressive from a gaming perspective though :(

Yeah, it's bogged down by its processor speed and available memory. The 333mhz of the PSP isn't half bad. Not quite as fast as my last PDA (which I believe was 600mhz) but it has a much better controller :)

That plus more people are developing for PSP than they are PocketPC.

Back