• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which PCI-E RAID Card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

boostdfd3s

Disabled
The choices are:
Highpoint Rocketraid 2320
LSI Logic 8208ELP

I plan on putting 5 500GB Seagate 7200.10's into a RAID 5 and using my PCI-E x4 slot in my DFI Lanparty. I also want the capability to add more drives later and have the RAID auto-expand.

Which one would you use?

boostdfd3s said:
The choices are:
Highpoint Rocketraid 2320
LSI Logic 8208ELP

I plan on putting 5 500GB Seagate 7200.10's into a RAID 5 and using my PCI-E x4 slot in my DFI Lanparty. I also want the capability to add more drives later and have the RAID auto-expand.

Which one would you use?

PM me in a day or two. I just bought the 2320 and I have 3x 500gb AAKS from WD to try out.

If you buy a Highpoint, get the RocketRAID 4320! The hardware is the best, the firmware will follow eventually...

Really, everybody should consider Adaptecs for their support, drivers, and firmware. They assign an Adaptec TSR to your case that will stay with you for the long run. Best support in the industry. Fortunately/unfortunately you rarely have to use their tech support because their products work well.

Adaptec 2405 or 5405/5805 should be considerations depending on budget.

FYI: I pimp Adaptec because AnExile has dealt with Areca, Adaptec, and Highpoint recently. Adaptec and Areca are the best but Adaptec has better prices. Also, whatever you get, for RAID-5 with 5 HDDs you will wish you had an IOP348.

Last Activity: 09-05-08 03:27 PM

Dont think hes coming back..

Oh Boo!

I came back- it was a subscribed thread. I lurk alot.

I have really liked the 2320. Couple of things irk me but I can live with them, especially given the price point.

Some of these problems have gone away since I upgraded - which means they were either problems before or never were...

1) With windows 2000 every time my system would crash (firewire issues) I'd have to rebuild the raid array. I have not had that issue in windows XP Pro

2) Rebuilding with the GUI is a PITA - too many clickings to do some simple tests.

That's about it.

Benchmark wise it's a decent card with your standard performance- I'm running 4x 500gb AAKS drives in it and they have no issues. The Online Capacity Expansion worked just as advertised.

There are also 2x 320gb Seagates running in Raid 0 for Firewire video capture- never any hiccups there. Screaming performance for drives that old.

Only big problem? Needs a 4x slot.

I like it- I'd buy it again.

Jason

Yeah I noticed that :/ I'll have to find a 1x if they even make them, or PCI :S, or use onboard intel ICHXX

Back