• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Black screen only

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madmark

I need some advise on what to do with a computer that after booting only gives me a black screen with a mouse cursor. I locate where the user box should be in middle of the screen and click and I get my desk top appear for about 60 seconds before it goes back to the black screen with only the cursor.
I recently put a 850pro agp in that computer with 7.4 drivers and all went well considering the age of that old pc my son played stalker all last week without a problem until today this happened.
I was able to remain in windows for a while today before the black screen (nothing I did though) and was able to see a couple of things that were wrong. 1: being catalyst control panel would not let me in anymore . 2: the computer is in need of a de-frag.
I un-installed the drivers and did a re-install but upon restarting I got the black screen before I could review anything.
One other thing, this card has as-well as a molex power connector and a smaller yellow 4 pin connector as-well but I have only the molex plugged in is that correct? Would the move from a 9800 pro to this 850 pro cause the psu to give me this black screen as I do have far more powerful psu's laying about the house if I need to change it.
I even have a unused 750 watt OCZ doing nothing in a box.
My 2 main computers use Nvidia cards so I am very rusty with ATi now.

Hi Mark,

You probably have this fixed by now but in case you don't....is the card/system running fine without a driver installed? How are you removing the drivers? It certainly wouldn't hurt to try the bigger PSU but it sounds more like a driver/OS problem to me. How much free disk space does the C:\ Drive have?

Back