• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WinXP ICS and ad hoc wireless network

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darth

Ok, so i've been using window's ICS for a while now for a wired DHCP server, and I recently got a laptop and a wireless USB adapter for my DHCP server. I wanted to give my existing DHCP server wireless capability so I followed this guide : http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx

I can now recieve an IP address on my laptop that looks good ( 192.168.0.56 ) but I don't get any internet on my laptop, and I can't seem to be able to share files either, despite having an "excellent" signal strength with my desktop.

I disabled the windows firewall already, and i don't have any security or firewall running on either machine at the moment, just to rule those things out. Any ideas on what's wrong?

I believe if you look in network connections, you should see the connection for the DHCP server to the internet, and then a separate wireless connection. Select both, and right click, then select bridge.

You may need to bash your head against a wall whilst configuring the network bridge once you've done that...

thanks for the reply,

I actually already fixed the problem. I had a bridge running as you suggested, but it didn't work. So I deleted that, got rid of the ICS set up and downloaded NAT32. NAT32 works very well and has some great features. i have it set up so that my wired network gets private IPs as 192.168.0.x and my wireless network gets IPs as 192.168.6.x .

Back