Forum Jump

MaxPC's comment on CoreTemp reading?!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 05-09-07, 03:55 PM Thread Starter   #1
LandShark
Super Shark Moderator

10 Year Badge

MaxPC's comment on CoreTemp reading?!

anyone read this month's issue of MaxPC's comment of CoreTemp reading for a Quad core??

in my case, I see my Quad's reading from BIOS/mobo/utility that read as BIOS @ low 40C to CoreTemp's low 60C under full load!!

any comment?? Coolest??

Quote:
Fire up your favorite temperature-monitoring program on a Core 2 processor and I'll bet the reading you get is wrong. At least that's the conclusion I've come to after a confusing week of trying to figure out which temp utility is accurate.

RightMark CPU clock utility tells me that my lightly overclocked Core 2 Extreme QX6600 is idling at 32C, yet Core Temp tells me it's at 48C. Which one is right? Neither.

There are 2 different temperature measurements going on inside a Core 2. Each individual core has it's own digital thermal sensor (DTS) that writes a value to a register in the core. The number the DTS reports; however, is not the temperature of the core, it is a value that coutns down to zero. When it hits zero, the core should throttle down. It's also intended to be used for controlling fan speeds, not as a direct temperature reference. CoreTemp is guessing (incorrectly, according to Intel) what the offset is.

There's also an old-fashioned thermal diode inside the CPU, just off to the side of the two processors, under the lid. Intel says the temperature the diode reports is probably more indicative of the CPU's actual temperature (and it's probably what the BIOS and most OEM motherboard utilities report). Still, that number isn't necessarily correct.

Believe it or not, to accurately measure the temperature of a Core 2 chip, Intel recommends tha tyou mill out a groove in the heat spreader and install a thermal couple at the exact center of the heat spreader. If I did this, I would probably see that the CPU is nowhere near the maximum temperature - 65C - that Intel rates it for. Ther moral of this story? Take your temp utility readings with a grain of salt.

Got SOLD? MOVE your own thread!

Folding User Stats
How many GHz of Intel + Nvidia folding power? Dunno! Lost count!

| F@H Vista Sidebar gadget | F@H Yahoo Widget | F@H iGoogle gadget |

| My Heatware | My New HTPC 3.0: Server/Client setup + Better energy efficiency |
LandShark is offline Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-09-07, 04:29 PM   #2
GTengineer

I have always felt the same way, but have always used coretemp because it gives me the highest temperatures just to be on the safe side. Now if someone could just come out with something that actually works.
GTengineer is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-09-07, 04:34 PM   #3
Rattle

i am not sure whats accurate but i dont hold max pc in high regard either.

HEAT
Rattle is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-09-07, 04:43 PM   #4
Vento1

Sure is confusing on my quad bios says -3c core temp says 13c speedfan says -9c tat says 8c and asus probe says 246c you would think that as they make the chips they would have an accurate way of measuring its temperature.

MotherboardFoxconn Blackops
Memory 2gig Diablo
HD 450gig Raid 10
Graphics EVGA 9800 GX2
Cooling
Water
Benching rig
Anything i havent broken yet.
Vento1 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-09-07, 04:46 PM   #5
inkfx

I don't think they have ever monitored temps from a phase unit correctly. lol

| Dell Studio17 Laptop |

| T9300 @ 2.5Ghz - ATI 3850 - 3GB RAM - Seagate 320GB 7200rpm - 17" (1920x1200) Glossy widescreen | Windows 7 64-bit |
inkfx is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 05-09-07, 05:01 PM   #6
Vento1

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkfx
I don't think they have ever monitored temps from a phase unit correctly. lol
Very true will have to check my air cooled rigs when i get home from work.

MotherboardFoxconn Blackops
Memory 2gig Diablo
HD 450gig Raid 10
Graphics EVGA 9800 GX2
Cooling
Water
Benching rig
Anything i havent broken yet.
Vento1 is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > CPUs > Intel CPUs
Intel CPUs