• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Measure USB voltage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RAA

Is there a way to measure what voltage a port has? I have a multimeter. And I'd also like to test a cable that goes into a USB port to make sure the cable is not somehow loosing voltage. Can i just ground the multimeter and carefully measure a pin or strip at the end of the cable that goes into a device? The cable in question has 4 wire strips.

Yes well I'm having issues with a device and so I wanted to rule out my mobo being the problem, i.e. over or under volting USB 5V. No problem, my PC is not to blame and I can now point my finger else where.

Sounds right, 5v 1/2 amp (i think). What problem are you having with the device? might be able to help on that end.

It's a USB powered circuit board. I think it must be a fault with the board. I have already gone through one of these boards so I thought that maybe my PC was damaging them but that is obvioulsy not the case.

Last edited:
Back