• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will XP Home run SMP_FAH or VMWare Server?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
I need to install XP on my daughter's PC (her own legit copy) and I have a new copy of OEM version of XP Home collecting dust. I want that PC to run SMP_FAH either Windows version or preferabley under 64bit Linux in VMWare Server (free edition).

We know that XP Professional runs VMWare Server just fine as it has some server components that seem to make it work even though VMWare says a server OS is required (2003 or 2000).

Has anyone successfully run VMWare Server or the SMP_FAH windows client on XP Home?

I don't want to pop the cork on this unactivated copy of OEM XP Home unless it will run SMP_FAH of some kind.

I tried to get VMware Server running on XP Home with an T7200 mac mini but everytime I ran it kept saying either "your processor supports VT but it is not enabled in the BIOS" or it would say that my processor wasn't x64 compatible. Even after a fresh install of XP Home too. :shrug:

I just decided to run WinSMP instead.

LandShark said:
isn't XP Home "only" see single processor/core?? :rolleyes:
It can see both C2D cores just fine as well as HT on one Pentium. It is license limited to only one socket but will use more than one core on that single socket multi core processor.

benbaked said:
...I just decided to run WinSMP instead.
So how well does WinSMP run on XP Home?

Is it mostly trouble free or does it drop WUs like a drunken juggler?

Last edited:
Thanx Lee :thup:

I'm going to go ahead with the install but I won't activate it until I'm sure everything works.

Yeah WinSMP runs fine for me on XP Home, I've had it running as a service for two weeks trouble-free.

I've had no trouble running WinSMP on my XP Home. I have heard that Home won't detect all 4 cores in a quad core processor and that only Pro will do that but I don't know about that.

Back