• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions for a good print server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soundfx4

こんにちは! I'm wandering if anyone can help me out with this situation. I'm looking to get a dedicated print server, but I'm not sure exactly which approach I should take. I have an old PIII machine that I could use with a windows install, or linux install as a print server, or I could buy one of those little print server boxes and use that. Of the two choices, I'm not sure which one would be best, but no no matter which one I choose, I will still have a question for each.

If I go with the PIII option; which OS should I install? And is there a linux build just for print servers?

If I go with the print server box, which one should I buy? I gave a quick look at newegg, but decided I should ask around first, as I'm not really sure if it even matters which one I get (other then compatibility with my printer)

Any and all help is appreciated!

Is your printer a regular inkjet, a multi-function inkjet, or a laser. If it is a Multi function you have to make sure it is compatable with what ever print server you buy.

Also, unless you are eunning a domain based network, why not just attach it to a computer that is always on and share it with the other computers. This is what I do and it is pretty simple.

orion25 said:
Is your printer a regular inkjet, a multi-function inkjet, or a laser. If it is a Multi function you have to make sure it is compatable with what ever print server you buy.

Also, unless you are eunning a domain based network, why not just attach it to a computer that is always on and share it with the other computers. This is what I do and it is pretty simple.

I actually already do that now, but the problem is that this computer is used by my people that don't understand anything about adware spyware etc, so said people download crap like zwinkys, and comet cursor, and think there is nothing wrong with it, all the while 180 search assist, and other crap is being installed until finally the computer won't even start (this actually happened btw :p). So now nobody can print until I reinstall windows, and I can't reinstall windows until I they get everything backed up properly.

As a solution to this problem I actually will be creating a domain based network and provide network storage in a RAID 5 configuration to keep their data safe, and at the same time implement group policies that will limit their use of the system AND I'm probably going to install deep freeze on the computer to keep it running nice and stable. So this solution won't work for too long, and I figured I might as well go ahead and take a the first step by removing a computer that is used all the time as the print server.

Search Google for Linux based Print Server. It has a couple of articles on it. Not sure how good they are though. Also, try the Alt. OS Forum for recommendations on a good linux distro for serving up a printer. I am betting that ubuntu would be good but I am not sure.

i just bought a new printer with a built in print server.
Try the linux ones you searched up, i mean it wont cost you anything but some time, and if it works it will save you from buying one of those stupid overpriced printserver units. I used to have a 486 with 16MB ram and a lan card running win 98 as a print server.

I'll check around for a linux server then, and if I can't do that, I can alwasy just use windows xp. The computer I have in mind can handle XP more then enough for a print server, but of course a linux solution would be best.

Thanks.

Back