• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading the dell

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jacobman

My buddy now has a good rig that i built him but his wife is still rocking the dell 5150. He wants me to put a better video card in it, i proposed the 7600GT since it was 109.99 with a 20 dollar rebate. It is recommended to have a 350watt PSU it says, the dell only has a 305watt PSU. So should i take a chance and try the card in it or can i upgrade the PSU in the dell. I looked inside of it and it seemed like it would work, had a 24pin and 4pin on the mobo.

I think it'd be fine. The 7600gt is a pretty low power card, and gfx card power requirments are usually exgagerated so as to cover pretty much any system config.

You can buy Dell psu replacments, PCP&C sells 'em, although new Dells use standard connectors AFAIK, so any ATX psu should work.

Heh, just noticed the your location. I'm in Old Shasta right now, 'bout 2 miles away from Redding.

I'd say you're safe with the current PSU. I just put a 7950GT OC in my buddies (brand new) Gateway rig. I was a bit worried that it would pull too much. A month and still goin strong!

Back