• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with dual core CPU!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sir Phoenixx

Registered
I just installed an AMD Athlon x2 3800 s939, upgraded from my AMD Opteron 144 s939. It went great, have all of the bios OC options to defaults before switching, it starts without any problems, recognizes the processor correctly in the bios, and boots up in Windows XP, and automatically sets the PC to "ACPI Multiprocessor PC", and installs the default driver, and I reboot.

After I reboot, it goes great until it gets to the Windows XP login screen, after a second the system freezes and just sits at the login screen, and I can't get past that. I've tried several times, but same thing happens everytime, only way I can get on my PC is to load it in safe mode with networking.

I've tried putting down the HT multi to x4 from x5, and putting the memory divider at DDR333 from DDR400.

I have Windows XP Home Edition SP2.

I just tried the dual core drivers from amd.com, didn't fix it.

Last edited:
Just fixed it, turned off USB 2.0 support in my BIOS and everything works now.

edit:

Still having problems. It just shutoff after a couple minutes after it successfully started from turning off USB 2.0 support. When I turned it back on, I installed the AMD dual core optimizer, now it freezes after like 10 seconds on the login screen or desktop.

Again, no problems in safe mode.

Last edited:
Sir Phoenixx said:
Just fixed it, turned off USB 2.0 support in my BIOS and everything works now.

edit:

Still having problems. It just shutoff after a couple minutes after it successfully started from turning off USB 2.0 support. When I turned it back on, I installed the AMD dual core optimizer, now it freezes after like 10 seconds on the login screen or desktop.

Again, no problems in safe mode.
Did you try removing the optimizer?

Seems like maybe a random answer but is your cooling on the processor installed correctly? Freezes and shut offs sound like bad cooling, did you apply thermal paste? Made sure the HSF is firmly on your processor?

There's no freezing/rebooting when I'm in safemode, so that kind of rules out everything but a driver/software problem, I think.

Standard heatsink, arctic silver 5, properly installed, etc. Temps are about 40c.

Did you try removing the optimizer?
I tried uninstalling through the control panel, but it says I can't do that in safe mode, and I can't get into windows normally. What all do I need to delete to remove it? Just the folder/file where it was installed?

Sir Phoenixx said:
There's no freezing/rebooting when I'm in safemode, so that kind of rules out everything but a driver/software problem, I think.

Standard heatsink, arctic silver 5, properly installed, etc. Temps are about 40c.

I tried uninstalling through the control panel, but it says I can't do that in safe mode, and I can't get into windows normally. What all do I need to delete to remove it? Just the folder/file where it was installed?
If it is a program, do a "msconfig" from the run window and remove it from the list (startup tab). I would highly NOT recommend just deleting the folder, that may create other problems. Rename the folder instead, so that if that creates more problems, you can change it back.

Just did that, it's fixed for now.

EDIT: It now freezes every other time, I can get into windows fine with no problems once or twice, but it'll freeze at the login screen pretty much every other time.

Last edited:
you could try going into the device manager and uninstalling the a64 x2 3800+ dual core cpu, letting it reboot and reinstall, see if it fixes it.

Back