• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Halo 2 PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kibokun

What do you guys think of it? I didn't get into the Halo 3 beta (Buying Crackdown and a new HD since my died is definitely not worth the money for a beta since I don't want crackdown that much.) and I'm pumped for Halo 2 PC to hold me over until H3 hits.

For people who know more about it than I, I have a few questions:

I've seen some videos of it that I believe were released before DX10 video cards hit and I saw no lag whatsoever. And I remember Halo PC performing very well on my old crappy system. How do you think performance will be with an average -high end system? More importantly, any word on what part the game stresses more? RAM, Video card, CPU?

Oh and the usual, who else is pumped for it? :beer: Battle Rifle+mouse = finally!

I think it's gonna be good :) I think though that Halo 2 will rely more on video card than anything else, probably alot on graphics memory due to large textures. That's my guess anyway. Can't wait to see :) I hope modding is just as easy as in Halo 1 PC, that was the best.

Actually, there was a graphical overhaul. Watch some videos, screenshots don't do it justice. (Real videos, not youtube.) The lighting is so much better. The environments look a lot less flat.

Yeah, I have seen at least one video, and while it was a big improvement over the xbox version, it didn't even really look the equal of Halflife Ep 2, let alone Crysis or UT3.

Required OS: Vista

That little phrase sure pi**ed me off. and I was looking forward to it! why did M$ feel the need? Like they really need more money.

The game itself is going to look good but from a modding and server admin perspective im not impressed at all. In order to host a dedicated server you

A) Need to own a retail copy of the game and have a Live! account. This is pretty expensive and I can already imagine that servers will try and make it so that you have to pay to play on their dedicated servers.
B) Put your account at risk. If Microsoft thinks that something "illegal" (aka cheating, even if it is someone playing on your server) is happening on your server they can either yank your CD-Key or simply ban your live account.

From a modding perspective, Hired Gun murdered the H2EK. They cut custom single player and UI support from the H2EK, which means that we are stuck with Multiplayer only. Multiplayer mods start to dumb down into boxmaps really really fast. The saddest part is that Hired Gun actually had to take time out of developing the game in order to do this. Why not just throw the original SDK at us, make the modding community happy and ensure the game has a long life? Microsoft's marketing makes me cringe sometimes.

However, in terms of playability I think the game will be good. Halo 2's annoyances hopefully will be fixed and the majority of hacks I hope won't work. Hackers are inevitable but at least with the risk of having one's Live! account banned I guess there will be fewer cheats. If the community behaves itself I think the game will be good. Hell, I'm already in a clan (been in it since September)

cant wait for mine to come preordered it from gogamer so i will probably get it around 24-25th hopefully :)

Id get it if it wasnt such a joke.. its a 3 year old game and they finally released it for PC but only for vista..

-Its being released for PC at a far later time than the original was.

-They require you to have Vista to play it

-The port will surely be a system hog without graphics to justify it

-The game itself is nothing beyond deathmatch and CTF

-Bungie themselves critisize the game.

Bungie engineer Chris Butcher was blunter in his assessment. "We had about four to five weeks to polish Halo at the end...[but] we had none of that for Halo 2," he told the magazine. "We miscalculated, we screwed up, we came down to the wire and we just lost all of that. So Halo 2 is far less than it could and should be in many ways because of that. It kills me to think of it."

Butcher was even critical of Halo 2's multiplayer element. "Even the multiplayer experience for Halo 2 is a pale shadow of what it could and should have been if we had gotten the timing of our schedule right," he said "I ****ing cannot play Halo 2 multiplayer. I cannot do it."

Don't see what would be so special about it.

I have it for Xbox and will not buy it again for PC. But if MS wants to bundle it with Vista that would be cool.

Not to be rude, but obviously if you didn't like the original you shouldn't expect anything from a port. The main reason I'm excited is because I wont have to pay for XBL (Unless the new Windows Live thing is stupid and you have to use it for just basic multiplayer. :bang head ), I get to use a mouse and It'll be smoother than on my Xbox. :p

well, i have halo for pc and story line was good so i would like to continue that with halo 2 dont care if its three years old or w.e dont have a xbox so its new to me, so i want to continue with the story and play through it. :)

I would like it more if Coop on the PC was actually possible. And Im sure many others would agree with me.

SteveLord said:
I would like it more if Coop on the PC was actually possible. And Im sure many others would agree with me.

That is a VERY good point...and I've been so spoiled by Gears of War Co-Op that it almost seems natural for them to have done that. lol. Maybe it could be patched in one day.

Kibokun said:
That is a VERY good point...and I've been so spoiled by Gears of War Co-Op that it almost seems natural for them to have done that. lol. Maybe it could be patched in one day.

Thats what they originally said about HALO 1.....

Back