• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is the asus A8N-E an overclockable board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

butters14

Registered
need some advice from the pro's. i am throwing together a hobby build for the sole purpose of pushing a venice core to the brink of explosion.( got the chip from a friend so i'm gonna play with it) i have a chance to pick up an ASUS A8N-E real cheap and would like opinions on its overclockability. its been awhile since shopping for non-sli boards. memory and psu are not an issue, i'll be using quality parts. its a 3200 cpu. any thoughts?

currently in use
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ @ 2600MHz
Asus A8N-SLI
2 Gb Corsair CMX 3200
Dual BFG GeForce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3
Enermax Liberty ATX12V 620W PSU
Dual Seagate 160's in RAID
Thermaltake Tsunami Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
Lite-On DVDRW SHW-160P6S
Sony DVD-ROM DDU1615
XP Home SP2

It's a nice board with nice features, but if xploding a chip is what you want, then the A8N-E isn't gonna do it. It lacks the real "meat-n-potatoes" for a super overclock. ( Voltage settings, ram timmings, etc.)

You might want to look into the DFI Ultra D. Has tons of settings and voltage adjustments to really fry a chip :D

The A8N-E is a budget board and not designed for the extremists.

I have this board, and it is very decent. Might not have the sky-high V.core that the DFI boards have. But mines runs stable with a 330Mh/z FSB. would probably go higher with tweaking.

If it was this time last yea, I'd say go for a DFI. But as Skt939 boards are becoming more rare. Pick it up, you might not see to many more floating about...

Back